Who needs a smartwatch when you can carry "the miracle of life" on your wrist?

Shawn Knight

Staff member

I’ve often mocked smartwatches for being impractical and not actually filling a need… but that was before I saw this promo for The Ant Watch. It’s literally a mini ant farm you strap on your wrist that offers the opportunity to “carry the miracle of life wherever you go.”

A quick check of the calendar confirms my suspicions – it’s not April Fools’ Day yet which means The Watch Co. is serious about the offering.

Should you be so compelled to buy a watch (one that doesn’t tell time or do anything for that matter) filled with a few harvester ants, pricing starts at $59 for a basic kit while an investment of $149 will get you a nice wooden version. All order ship free and come with a one year supply of ants shipped to your door every four months. 

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

Are you serious? Is it waterproof? Does it come with a tin of insecticide? How do you feed them? This is a joke, it has to be.

Are you serious? Is it waterproof? Does it come with a tin of insecticide? How do you feed them? This is a joke, it has to be.

No joke:

Each purchase comes with a vial of 5 live ants, sand, a food/water dropper, tweezers, a case opening tool, and simple and easy care guide.

To add the ants to your farm, place tube in refrigerator for 10 minutes to put the ants to sleep - then handle them with tweezers as you move them to their new home.

The ants are fed liquid sugar 1-2 times a month. We've designed a removable crown so you can feed your ants with a specially designed dropper. The ants will live from 4-6 months. All orders come with an automatic 1 year supply of real ants, so we'll ship a new batch to you every 4 months. If you don't need them, you can always set them free!

So this is the one you give your kids that are into "Itchy & Scratchy" cartoons for when they break out? (the ants, not the kids) ..... lol

I wouldn't buy this but.... ffs they're just ants. They have nowhere near the level of awareness we have. Instinct says find food, and the legs move. There's no "OMFG help I'm trapped in this prison thing!"

If you really feel bad about imprisoning ants, perhaps you should look into Veal. Veal crates can confine a calf (baby cattle) to the point where it can't use it's muscles so as to make the meat more tender when people eat it. I garuntee those calves are far more aware than ants. The U.S. has only just begun to try and phase out crates.

**** the ants. Lets start helping our fellow mammals first. Don't eat Veal. At the very least not crate veal PLEASE.

Yeah, I'd really want to be that ant. My world shaking every freaking second and that's when you're just walking. Not to mention running or the huge living space. One thing is to torture ants in your garden, but this is a whole new one to wear a torture chamber on your wrist.

First of April isn't it.

What an excellent idea!! I do hope it takes off as I'm hoping to buy a teeny-tiny cage for my living room where I can put the people who buy this kind of senseless crap and watch them starve...perfect entertainment.

Techspot does not endorse piracy.. how can they endorse torture of a living being ??? the person who thought of it seems more than just stupid, but a responsible entity should have criticized it rather than saying you can purchase it. try staying in a case on a busy road and check out the reaction.

Back