Why does my mobo keep getting fried?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other day I moved my sound card to a different PCI slot further from my video card, hoping for better air flow. After plugging everything back in, I turned the comp back on.

I could smell a burning so I unplugged, opened it up and found the PSU to be the root of the smell. I replaced the PSU and the computer would still not start. I replaced the mobo and it started. At that time I didnt have time to finish things up, but it started.

Now, this morning, I moved it to another place, plugged it in and started it. Since the case was still open I could see the mobo and a bright light came from a circuit near the graphics card, along with a burning smell. I unplugged and the circuit is singed.

What could cause this- again? I don't know of any serious causes so I dont know how to go about troubleshooting, any help would be great. Thanks.

Im sorry, what are standoffs?

If you mean the spacing screws that keep the mobo off the case, then yes.

I am just looking for basic solutions- like can I plug things in wrong that cause a higher charge to the board? if cables are touching the board will it cuase a higher charge? - basically anything that can cause the mobo to burn like that.

Thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back