Why is "aerosol air" so dear ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve B

Just curious, why does what is basically an empty can cost about 3 times more than one filled with, say, paint? WD40? Various inhalants?.....................................

:confused: :dead: :grinthumb :eek:

are you talking about a can of compressed air? that stuff is full of air (actually some sort of chemical). compressed air is used to clean electronic components and computer stuff like motherboards, et cetera. it blows dust and other debris off of electronic components without risk of causing electrostatic damage.

just make sure you follow the directions on the can or else a little frost can develop on your gear. ;)

those cans of air run out too fast for me though.

Yeah, thats the stuff.

I bought some at an electronics shop and the $$ blew me away.

It's just propellant and air.

You can get spaypaint for 3 or 4 bucks, same thing, only with the addition of paint
You buy Compressed air for 12 bucks and it contains...AIR.

I know it's nothing to get excited about, but is it air from the top of Everest, or Angelina Jolie's breath or sumthin'?
:dead:

If you are paying more than $6 for a good sized can of air, you are getting hosed big time.

Personally, I think any money at all is too much to pay for air.. Packaged or not. :)

I've got an air compressor (with storage tank) so cool thing is all I have to do is have my little $4 attachment (or there abouts) that directs the air into a more concentrated stream.
So I don't really need this canned air stuff. Thing is though the air compressor and attachment and such cost way more than just buying some canned air. So its not a good deal to have all that for some people, but if you need an air compressor for tractor tires, car tires, impact wrenches, ect, its nice to not have to buy it in canned form for way more than its worth.

We pay around $15 a 400ml can in the UK. Its not simply air that is in the can, but usually includes propellant such as propane. Also, compressed air releases water, which is not something you'll find in your aerosol blower. It's a rip off sure enough, and if I could find it for $6 equivalent (in the UK) then I'd go for that. As it stands UK consumers get 'hosed' for most goods that usually cost around half the price in the US.

Actually Dust-off is the same as Freeze-it except the Dust-off can has no tube down to the bottom of liquid like a Freeze-it can (or vice-versa). If you turn the can upside down it becomes Freeze-it and if you Turn Freeze-it upside down it becomes Dust-off. They're both Freon.

I bought an electric Black and Decker compressor with a small storage tank...it came with all kinds of attachments for the nozzle. It's quiet and it works great. It's already paid for itself compared to what I would have spent on canned air. My father in-law used to work for a company that made all kinds of PC cleaning supplies - I have a couple cases of the stuff, but after he left the company a few years ago, I didn't get resupplied. After I ran out, I vowed not to pay for any more of it - hence, the electric compressor.

Actually Dust-off is the same as Freeze-it except the Dust-off can has no tube down to the bottom of liquid like a Freeze-it can (or vice-versa). If you turn the can upside down it becomes Freeze-it and if you Turn Freeze-it upside down it becomes Dust-off. They're both Freon

Yer nuts if you think that's freon- that stuff besides being horrible to the atmosphere and illegal in the US is about $200 a kilogram.

Originally posted by Godataloss
Yer nuts if you think that's freon- that stuff besides being horrible to the atmosphere and illegal in the US is about $200 a kilogram.
Just before any arguing starts, you should be aware that there is more than one type of Freon, as it is a generic name used for a group of chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs). It is possible that 'Dust-Off' and 'Freeze-It' are both Freon based, and may, or may not, be the same product. Does it really matter?

The History of Freon
Freon represents several different chlorofluorocarbons, or CFCs, which are used in commerce and industry. The CFCs are a group of aliphatic organic compounds containing the elements carbon and fluorine, and, in many cases, other halogens (especially chlorine) and hydrogen. Freons are colorless, odorless, nonflammable, noncorrosive gases or liquids.

The only reason I buy those cans is to mess around with friends. We'd turn it upside down and spray eachother with iceair and frost and stuff. The one that has the best effect out of everything is Dust-Off, Endust sucks for the frostyness, it's more liquidy, and Dust-Off is more like fire extenguisher cold hard gas that turns liquid.

It's fun...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back