Why Upgrading a Gaming PC Right Now is Almost Pointless

It is somewhat embarrassing to note that I did not even need to overclock my Palit GTX 1080 after all these years. I just undervolted the curve a bit more out of a hobby.

You can imagine that if I don't even need to OC my 1080 there is little incentive to even buy a new GPU.

Ofc not all gamers are like me.

Yeah, I for one am still rocking a GTX 1070
My buddy is still rocking his 1070ti and thrilled with it. nVidia knocked it out of the park with the 10 series, it's really disappointing to see how far they've fallen. The 20 series was "cool" but not impressive, the 30 series made raytracing feasible but it was almost completely unavailable and now we have the dumpster fire that is the 40 series

Last edited:
My buddy is still rocking his 1070ti and thrilled with it. nVidia knocked it out of the park with the 10 series, it's really disappoint to se how far they've fallen. The 20 series was "cool" but not impressive, the 30 series made raytracing feasible but it was almost completely unavailable and now we have the dumpster fire that is the 40 series

I'm with a 3060ti and I'm fine with it. I think manufactures will try to make most cards unusable by stimulating new games to demand more RAM, so most 10- to 40- series will be very restricted, though the chip is still capable. I bet that the 50- series will only have 8 GB RAM on the 5050 versions and will come with 12-16 GB for all other mainstream versions with a minimum of 16 GB RAM for the 60- series. That way it's guaranteed that most 10- to 40- series owners will feel the need to change, even if the chip is not that good.

Going from a 570 8GB to a used (not mined) 6700XT for AU$400 9 months ago was so worth it. Here's hoping I can get 3 years out of it!

I'm with a 3060ti and I'm fine with it. I think manufactures will try to make most cards unusable by stimulating new games to demand more RAM, so most 10- to 40- series will be very restricted, though the chip is still capable. I bet that the 50- series will only have 8 GB RAM on the 5050 versions and will come with 12-16 GB for all other mainstream versions with a minimum of 16 GB RAM for the 60- series. That way it's guaranteed that most 10- to 40- series owners will feel the need to change, even if the chip is not that good.
The 3060Ti was a real winner, I hope nVidia learned from the 40 series. I have reasons for not liking nVidia outside of gaming and if I was a windows user their cards, at least at the high end, are fantastic. They're just priced wrong.

My 5700 XT is running quite happily alongside my 7950X cpu. Surprisingly well in fact on a 3440x1440 display.
I'm fortunate enough that I could buy any gpu on the market tomorrow without a second thought, but that doesn't mean I will. Having the money doesn't mean im stupid enough to pay for overpriced hardware.
At this stage though, I'm thinking of skipping this gen of gpu's (again) and waiting for the next ones to see what happens. I typically never upgrade until I get at least double the performance of my last gpu anyway. So if I have, let's say 100 fps in a benchmark now, the new gpu better do 200 fps before I'll even consider it.

Last edited:
In audio they are called audiophiles perpetually in search of an unobtainable perfection. What is the name for folk that do the same with graphics cards? If you need to play Doom and I did you upgrade. If you don't need to play a game you don't.

How are the chances I shall embarrass myself like a clown again, waiting for the next gen? I know NVIDIA has failed us, especially for the anticipation of the 40 series not looking like what it is. Anyway, I am significantly considering the 3090 or 3080 Ti used, as I am still stuck on the 1070. Or maybe I will sell my current rig and build a new one when the time comes.

How are the chances I shall embarrass myself like a clown again, waiting for the next gen? I know NVIDIA has failed us, especially for the anticipation of the 40 series not looking like what it is. Anyway, I am significantly considering the 3090 or 3080 Ti used, as I am still stuck on the 1070. Or maybe I will sell my current rig and build a new one when the time comes.
Everything depends on your needs and price found. If for your needs you really need one, check prices of that model or equivalent in the 40- series. I think you are better off with a good priced 3070, you'll get a good price and performance uplift

Simply put: We at the point where increasing GPU performance through adding more shaders or ramping up clocks is over. We're about to hit "peak computing" due to the increasing manufacturing costs of using smaller processer nodes.

It is somewhat embarrassing to note that I did not even need to overclock my Palit GTX 1080 after all these years. I just undervolted the curve a bit more out of a hobby.

You can imagine that if I don't even need to OC my 1080 there is little incentive to even buy a new GPU.

Ofc not all gamers are like me.

I feel the pain in MFS2020 at 3840x1600 (no surprise there) but all other games? Nope, runs everything fine.

I still laugh at the fact that I almost decided to hold out for the 4060 Ti prior to buying my 3060 Ti last year, caved in once my 1070 wasn't able to handle everything I tossed at it and looks like I made the right decision.

That 1070 was an incredible value under $400 in 2017. Held mine for 5-1/2 years until I caught a 6800XT for under $400 on EBay this past November and tripled my performance. But if you're at 1440p or under, I'd imagine the 1070's keeping up just fine.
Same here, held it for 5 years. 1070 had incredible value, still fine for 1080p. I got a new 6700XT for 450 euros at the end of last year, for 2k gaming, but I sort of regret it, because now, you can get a 3080 sh for that kind of money and I bet prices are going to drop even harder.

It may not be a good time to upgrade a GPU, but it’s really good for anyone still rocking Gen 1/2 AM4 to step up their CPU - as well as filling up those DDR4 and m.2 slots. PCIE 4.0 SSDs are now less of a price premium over their predecessors.

It also seems that this article is written on the premise of someone upgrading a 12-month old PC. Most people however are coming from much older machines than that, so 2021/22-gen GPUs are a reasonable upgrade path from Polaris/Vega or Pascal etc. “Upgrade” in PC terms has generally referred to a minor component swap to extend service life, as opposed to a system replacement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back