TechSpot

Wierd CPU i'm trying to take out

By LXIX
Jul 6, 2007
  1. I'm trying to remvoe the Dual Pentium 4 3ghz cpu from this hp board but the Heatsync/Fan thing on it is like a tank. I mean How the hell am i supposed to get the cpu out from this thing. I'll put pictures of it down below.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,704   +397

The 4 screws, on that tall thing sticking up with the fan attached, are holding it against a plate on the back side of the motherboard. Remove those 4 screws and the thing comes right off.

3. LXIX

LXIX TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 108

Oh ok so i have to take out the motherboard to unscrew it. oh well i was hoping i could unscrew it from the front.

4. SNGX1275

You can. That plate is probably lightly stuck on the back with some adhesive so it shouldn't fall off. It shouldn't have nuts on the other end, the screws just thread into the plate.

5. LXIX

LXIX TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 108

ok so i can twist it off huh? neato

6. SNGX1275

well make sure the screws are out of the plate. I wouldn't go too crazy twisting. Just take the screws out and that is it nothing else is holding it on. It will probably be stuck on a little bit because of the thermal material, but not terribly hard. If you really have to work at it you are doing something wrong.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.