Wierd Power Supply problem..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTGear

Today, I recieved my new Power Supply unit and I hooked it in. Everything seemed ok since my games ran without freezing the entire computer. However, the freezing has started again. So I took a look at my Power Supply unit and saw this..

+3.3V - 1.50V
+5v. 4.95V
12V - 15.52V.
--
My 3.3V is the same as my last PSU. I thought my old PSU was failing because it was locked at 1.50V. But it seems it wasnt if this brand new PSU is doing the same. What can the problem be?

is that the +12v rail showing 15.52? if it si then BOTH your 3.3V and 12V rails are off. is this plugged into a UPS or straight into the wall?

iss said:
is that the +12v rail showing 15.52? if it si then BOTH your 3.3V and 12V rails are off. is this plugged into a UPS or straight into the wall?

The +12v rail is 12.46, I made a minor typo. But I have my computer plugged into a multiple socket plug.

How would that make a difference?

most decent UPS these days have AUto Voltage regulation or line conditioning. if he doesnt have a UPS or it is one that lacks AVR then the problem may be faulty house wiring causing the erratic voltages. Or it could just be that his new power supply is defective.

iss said:

Sorry, I made a typo. The +12v rail is 12.46v and the +3.3v is 1.50v. My lack of tech knowledge is small, but I think the +12v rail is normal. and I have my computer plugged into a multiple socket plug.

ok so the +12V rail is ok. and your saying that your other power supply had the same low reading on the +3.3V rail? if this is true then it probably isnt the power supply it's either the Mobo or your plug in arangement.

iss said:
ok so the +12V rail is ok. and your saying that your other power supply had the same low reading on the +3.3V rail? if this is true then it probably isnt the power supply it's either the Mobo or your plug in arangement.

Plug in arrangement? please explain? and how could my Mobo be causing this?

it could be your multiple socket plug is bad. that is why I suggested you try different plug in arrangements. or it could be your motherboard is going bad. I am assuming you are getting your readings thru a motherboard monitor? if you are getting your readings Direct from the PSU not thru ther mobo then the PSU is at fault. but it would seem strange to have two in a row exhibit this.

iss said:
it could be your multiple socket plug is bad. that is why I suggested you try different plug in arrangements. or it could be your motherboard is going bad. I am assuming you are getting your readings thru a motherboard monitor? if you are getting your readings Direct from the PSU not thru ther mobo then the PSU is at fault. but it would seem strange to have two in a row exhibit this.

Yeah, I was getting those readings through PC Wizard 2006 and Speedfan. I believe those are motherboard moniters.

Well, I went through different sockets and they're all getting the same reading, which I find to be odd. Another thing, I was talking to my friend, who usually always fixes my computer when theres a problem, informed me that my comp has always had a 1.50V reading and I've had it for about 3 years now. I'm guessing the voltage reader on my Mobo is basically faulty? thus giving out the same reading?

Interesting, I was looking in my Bios at my Power output and instead of 3.3v, it shows VAGP. I've read the default rating for VAGP is 1.5v. Can someone explain this? Maybe the motherboard scanners i'm using are confusing my VAGP for my 3.3v rail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back