Wierd Problem...Possibly heat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

me(who else?)

As I expressed a while ago, I am interested in Ocing old Pentiums. However, I have hit a roadblock. With my all jumpers mobo, I cannot set the bus speed to 84.4 Mhz or higher without my computer restarting. It says "Loading grub stage2", then POSTs, rinses and repeats indefinitely. At lower bus speeds, it boots fine, but I'd like to get the processor to at least 291 Mhz(or higher). The BIOS says that with bus at 74 the processor is at 52C, while at 84.4 it's only 50C (idle, obviously). Is there something wrong with the probe? I just put new thermal paste on (the cheap Vantec kind), because the old stuff was crusty :dead: , but it's posted since. (I also have a cheap CPU cooler).

nah, I doubt heat is the issue. Those old procs are hard to OC. Actually, I don't think I've ever tried it and been successful. I would see about upping the voltage a little bit (not too much). Otherwise... Don't know what else to say. Try increasing multiplier instead of FSB.

Bug

My core voltage is already pretty high(like 2.9 volts). I don't know how much more the old thing can take... I've had it above 3 before, but I didn't run it for long;) The thing needs to be pretty stable, because I'm going to host files on it.

Nope...Even with the PCI bus locked at a specific frequency, it still won't work. And I've discovered that the jumpers on my Mobo won't allow for the multiplier to be higher than 3.5, which it's at. This is kind of stumping... Would the RAM frequencies be a problem? This thing has EDO RAM, would it help to set up a divider?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back