TechSpot

wifi not working..

By jayno20
Dec 31, 2006
  1. on my dell laptop not even 4 months old my wifi is being weird... when i start the computer up the little wifi LED comes on indicating that theres wifi near, so i click on windows wifi manager and it shows me all the available networks, but it wont connect to any of them, not even my preferred ones. Could i have disabled something?

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,994   +168

Is your Dell fully updated using Windows Update? Have you changed anything or added any programs or drivers?

3. jayno20

jayno20 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 116

i think i fixed it... thanks though

4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,994   +168

What did you do to fix this problem? I had an HP laptop that would not connect to my wireless network either. The owner tried it in his home and it worked fine

5. jayno20

jayno20 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 116

i dont really know what i did, i just kept messing with it and eventually it worked... its odd because it didnt work in xp or vista, then i messed with it a little (uninstalling/installing drivers) and it seems to connect in xp fine now, i havent tried vista again.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.