Wii sales reach 30 million in the U.S.

Jos

Staff

Continuing to lead the current generation of gaming consoles, the Nintendo Wii has hit a major milestone this month with more than 30 million units sold in the U.S. alone. The console first debuted in November 2006, around the same time Sony released the PlayStation 3 and a full year after Microsoft launched the Xbox 360. In other words it took 45 months for the Wii to hit this milestone, making it the fastest-selling console ever, 15 months faster than the PS2.

We could mention a few reasons why the Wii has done much better in sales than its comparatively more powerful rivals, starting with its unique (at the time) motion-sensor input system and the universal appeal of its games. Pricing also played an important role. Although the gap compared to the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 has decreased over time, at launch you could get a Nintendo Wii for up to $150 cheaper than the competition.

But just because the Wii is selling faster than the PlayStation 2 doesn't mean that it will also become the best-selling console of all time. The company has moved some 74 million units worldwide but is seeing a decline in sales as of late. Meanwhile, Sony has shipped more than 140 million PS2 consoles so far, and though monthly sales are not particularly strong compared to current-gen consoles, the fact that it's still on the market is quite remarkable.

Furthermore, Sony and Microsoft plan to level the playing field later this year with their own motion-sensing add-ons for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, respectively. It remains to be seen if the Wii can continue selling at the pace it once did.

Permalink to story.

The PS2 was the best console for gaming...but today's consoles have evolved beyond just gaming. They are more of a media / entertainment center and can do way more. I would say at least half the time I've spent on the PS3, I was not playing games. Plus the PS2 didn't have online multiplayer.

Wii's problem is going to be the PS Move and M$ Kenetix. The only thing it had going for it was the motion controls and a few classic gaming icons (Mario, Zelda, and Metroid). Besides those iconic games, the Wii games suck compared to a similarly priced Xbox 360 or PS3 games.

I'll admit, we just bought one of the new black Wii units with the MotionPlus controllers. See, I have this problem: I'm gifted with a beautiful wife who is, well, technologically challenged would probably be the best description. She's not stupid, by any means, she just doesn't get computers/electronics in many cases. Ironically, she picks up office types of applications quickly, and whips around Facebook and Netflix, but... Well, I digress...

We got the Wii for 2 reasons: ease of use, and the Wii Fit. She easily gets the Wii interface, it's so simplified that it's almost obscene. And that Wii Fit is something friends had recommended, and she's loving the whole process. I've yet to try it out (haven't been at home), but it should be some good mindless fun while getting a little exercise in.

When the Move and Kinect have good fitness hardware/games, they will definitely take a big bite out of Wii's new player base, but for right now they have a pretty good lock on an interesting niche in the home entertainment sector. And honestly, all of the moving and flailing in the world will have a hard time replacing that Wii board that gives you true physical feedback on fitness progress, ya know?

Same reason mac sells alot of products. Its simple, stylish and has a wide appeal to the average consumer as apposed to xbox and ps3's more hardcore gamer appeal.

hello ...

the WII was among the early consoles of this gen & beneficed from one thing: Nintendo's experience in the industry ....

most actual adult gamers have been playing on Maria / Zelda / etc .... so it's normal they want to continue & give same to their kids.

now going more casual & targeting a larger audience (elderly, women, etc...), games that meets the normal trends & needs of the masses, enforced by the 'augmented reality' aspect of motion sensing gave it an initial boost that's not easy to surpass. Women love to take care of themselves more than playing games, what a better way to sell to them by giving them an easy & 'palpable' way of doing so the fun way...

the casual games appeal to more users, even to hardcore gamers & some 'virtual mind exercise' would make the WII & the DS the console of choice for many.

the PS3 with MOVE & Xbox360 with Kinnect will get their share of the pie, while the WII will reach a saturation level, it's all but normal. Yet for this gen it is one of the best concept that really re-defined the meaning of gaming for the mass populace ...

still don't forget that most gamers have multiple platforms & when you have one having 3 or more, you can be sure of having a WII in the pack. I'm a PS3 + PC gamer, if i had to buy another one, would be the WII just because of Mario, while i'll still buy the MOVE for the PS3 & if SURFACE wasn't that expensive, would have gone for it for PC too ...

I just wish that next-gen i'll own all 'o 'em while i'll be a happily retired (in my mid 30s LOL) ...

cheers!

LOL @ Maria .. sorry !!! .. i'm sure u all know i meant .. Hey it's me Mario !!! :p

where is that EDIT button ... aaarrrrrrrgh!

cheers!

Back