TechSpot

Wikileaks supporters targeted in secret US court order

By Jos
Oct 11, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. The US government has obtained a secret court order to force Google and a small ISP called Sonic, to hand over the information contained in the email accounts of a…

Read the whole story

2. mosu

mosu TS Enthusiast Posts: 311   +11

Under those circumstances, I wonder who wants to comment at all.

3. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,156   +737

A 'secret' court order? and the story is right here on TS. That's not very secret.

I'm no laywer, but the Electronic Communications Privacy Act was passed in 1986 (before the internet) to PREVENT the govt from doing unauthorized wire taps etc. Sure you're not confusing that act with the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act? Thats the act the Bush administration used to defend their 'unauthorized' wiretaps of foreign communication, and it's what caused all the arguing about wiretaps a few years ago. But unless you're calling Saudi Arabia, you won't show up on thier lists.

4. The Internet was created a long time before that. I think you mean the web.

5. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,710   +62

I wonder if they can seize medical records without a court order now too.

6. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,078   +76

This is McCarthyism plain and simple. Welcome to the Red Scare of the 21st century.

7. As you will find , coverage of this news item will be a blip vert at best.
    fascism and corporatism have reached a height that most see little difference
    between glob trotting businesses and the government itself.

We as a country are suffering a time warp to the 50's and the McCarthy era
    where in place of honest civil discourse we have the full might and force
    of government used to subvert our constitution at every turn.

Perhaps one of the few amendments yet to be offended is the 3rd and
    it's prohibition against the quartering of troops in our very homes.

8. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,392   +16

Sadly +1, :( .

9. I think that the government is mad that wikileaks got out. All their precious secrets released on the internet and now they are targeting the wikileaks supporters. If you don't know how wikileaks got out, this article gives an easy explanation on it.

http://explainlikeakid.blogspot.com/2011/10/wiki-leaks.html

10. TJGeezer

TJGeezer TS Enthusiast Posts: 385   +10

...except that Eisenhower was principled enough to use executive power to end it. Haven't seen that principled a chief executive in the U.S. for a very long time now.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.