TechSpot

Will a 3 Pin Fan Connecter Fit in a 4 Pin Motherboard?

By akaivan
Jun 7, 2007
  1. CCT

CCT TS Evangelist Posts: 2,653   +6

2. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

It might, but you risk either ruining the fan or the motherboard. Save yourself the trouble and get the correct part.

3. akaivan

akaivan TS Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 470

ok thanks, so the 3 pin will work with the 4 pin, but any idea wich cooler i should get? the rosewill ( better ratings ) or the arctic cooling one?

4. vnf4ultra

vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,388

5. akaivan

vnf4ultra glad to still see you around lol. i havnt been on ts for a while... anyways that cooler is 5$ extra... which isn't bad but does it support am2 and the newer x2 processors?

6. twite

twite TechSpot Paladin Posts: 937

There is nothing "incorrect" here.

Most intel 775 mobos are 4 pin, and many after market Hsf's are 3 pin, such as the big typhoon (what i have)

7. akaivan

yea im sure it wouldnt make a difference if i used a 3 pin or 4 pin. imma go with the arctic cooling for 15$ vnf4ultra recommended another but im not sure if that will run a am2 x2 amd cpu at good temp's

8. vnf4ultra

vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,388

The one I linked does support am2.
    http://www.sunbeamtech.com/PRODUCTS/wisper/wisper.htm
    I've never used it, so I can't personally say whether it's any good, but it has generally good reviews on newegg, and looks like a decent design. One reviewer was using an opteron 170 which has a pretty high heat output.

The coolers you linked to are probably just fine too, I just like heatpipe designs.

9. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

true, but if the current draw is greater than supplied, you can risk damage.
    the fourth pin is for smart fan circuits that regulate fan spead.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.