TechSpot

will a sata hd work with eide hd

By kissx
Dec 15, 2006
  1. hi i have a biostar p4m80-m4 motherboard. the board has 2 sata connections and suports raid 0 and raid 1 functions. right now i have 2 eide hard drives on the board, the first one is a 40 gig to hold the windows xp home edition and programs,the second one is 120 gigs to hold music and photos,but i want to add a 320 gb hard drive for video using the sata connection, will all 3 run fine together, thanks.

2. Jesse_hz

Jesse_hz TS Maniac Posts: 638

I don't see no reason why they shouldn't.

(if I'm wrong, will someone please correct me thx)

3. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,657   +323

Yes it will work fine.

4. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

YES and NO. While it will work, it is not advisable to mix types. Windows defaults to IDE during crashes and could get hung up when trying to reboot. It will then try to write boot information onto the IDE drive. Use one system or the other. It's not worth the headache.

5. Jesse_hz

Jesse_hz TS Maniac Posts: 638

Really?

I've never had problems with mixing drive types, but maybe I'm just lucky.

6. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

many times it will work just fine. But it only takes one crash and one OS write to your IDE to screw your system up really bad.
    Not worth the risk in my opinion.

7. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,582

the configuration you mention will work just fine
    no need to even partition the drive unless you plan doing editing and what not with writes to more area's of drive
    then make 2 partitions that way you can defrag the most used part faster

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.