TechSpot

Will.i.am's modified Tesla Model S is atrocious

By Shawn Knight
Aug 31, 2016
Post New Reply
  1. Tesla’s Model S electric car is quite stylish for a 4-door sedan. Granted, it’s not nearly as flashy as some of the exotics it can embarrass in a race, but it’s respectable by most people’s standards… that is, until entertainer will.I.am gets his hands on it.

In the clip above, a rather enthusiastic YouTube user spots will.I.am’s modified Model S parked in Beverly Hills. Sure, the quality of the work that went into the body kit is top notch but the end result will likely make you want to vomit.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

2. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 1,902   +528

Meh, it's ok. I would say that it's serviceable for a superstar.
    I've seen much worse.

drjekelmrhyde, m4a4 and madboyv1 like this.
  3. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,549   +2,352

What happens when you take the front of a riced out Miata and attach it to the back end of a riced out Corolla?

This.

MonsterZero and p3ngwin like this.
  4. davislane1

toxicfiend and Humza like this.
  5. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,333   +267

Yeah, I could deal with this compared to what some people will do to their cars...

6. Scorpus

Scorpus TechSpot Staff Posts: 1,828   +188

I'm not surprised at all that will.I.am is a ricer

7. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,554   +2,897

I don't know why you would only think it is atrocious after the modification. Surely if you think so after, it was atrocious before as well.

drjekelmrhyde likes this.
  8. risc32

risc32 TS Booster Posts: 197   +87

Anyone remember what this guy did to the iPhone?

9. davislane1

They do now:

[​IMG]

10. Sniped_Ash

Sniped_Ash TS Maniac Posts: 253   +108

What does a hologram need a car for

Seraphim401 likes this.
  11. Scshadow

Scshadow TS Guru Posts: 469   +97

I literally don't understand. This is "atrocious"? I'll take atrocious. About the only thing I'd change is I'd go black instead of white but I sincerely see nothing that makes it look anything remotely atrocious, you snobs.

12. davislane1

It has nothing to do with being a snob and everything to do with that Model S looking like a $200 kit car with a $20,000 paint job.

He drove it too fast and hit an ugly tree.

13. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,693   +1,882

OK Shawn, how about if we try some "truth in journalism" for a change.

Something like this: "The Tesla Model S is butt ugly, even by "inexpensive import people mover standards". The gull wing doors over the rear seats are way out of place monstrosities, and a massive repair bill in the making, for any serious rear end collision. And that's assuming Musk even has the parts to repair it available in a reasonable amount of time.

As for the racing: "It's looks don't anywhere near compare to the "exotics", which it has merely managed to pull a hole-shot on, by virtue of the torque characteristics of its electric motors".

14. Duke373

Duke373 TS Rookie

I do not know why you are so hard on this car's redesign. It is killer!

Darth Shiv, Hasbean and drjekelmrhyde like this.
  15. loading

loading TS Enthusiast Posts: 66   +13

I wouldn't consider it "atrocious" but what the hell is up with those rims? People have different tastes after all.

16. Camikazi

Camikazi TS Maniac Posts: 817   +231

I would take this "atrocious" car anyday, I have seen million dollar supercars that are worse (to me that is).

17. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,750   +1,105

A rap star with a flashy car is not news. Neither is Shawn posting a non-news story as clickbait. I checked it out - I think it looks OK... not vomit worthy or atrocious, but then again - we're in the world of using the most possible hyperbole.

Next time just say ... 'OMG - Will I Am's car is the ugliest thing in the history of EVER!'

18. mrjgriffin

mrjgriffin TS Booster Posts: 135   +51

The title of this article is atrocious

19. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Evangelist Posts: 1,631   +432

Now that's a sick ride. The haters are the ones trying hard not to look while people around them that aren't complete dicks are taking pictures while something like this drives by.

Kenrick and drjekelmrhyde like this.
  20. Kenrick

Kenrick TS Booster Posts: 187   +88

Looks good to me especially the side. It must be a lot of work to mod this. If this was shoot in the day, I think we would see a lot.

Anyway, most people who dont see a good point in the car's design are just envious or because they are still borrowing their mom's beetle. Truth to be told, most negative people do not appreciate positive things if something comes up better than what they have :p

21. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TS Evangelist Posts: 1,102   +345

I'm in the ugly camp on this one.

I don't like cars where its looks like the owner is trying too hard.

22. PrimateGod

PrimateGod TS Rookie

Hopefully Trump will deport this car to Mexico

23. Jibberish18

Jibberish18 TS Guru Posts: 528   +36

I'm not complaining (yet) but your site has changed. In the last I can't remember how many years I haven't seen a post like this come from you guys. You remind me of an older Gizmodo.

Back to the subject, yeah it's pretty ugly. Them again this IS will.I.am. Have you seen his Delorean? He also chose to modify one of the prettiest and most elegsntlybdesigned vehicles on the road. Btw the body work does not look top notch to me. At the very beginning of the video look at where the front driver's fender meets the bottom door piece.

24. Chazz

Chazz TS Evangelist Posts: 671   +73

If this were Musk's personal tesla I'm sure the title and article would be different. Will.I.am is a unpopular guy, warranted or not, so you'll only hear negative things/tones when he's involved.

The car is okay, but nowhere near hideous or atrocious.

cliffordcooley likes this.
  25. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,693   +1,882

It doesn't matter who did what to the car, or whose car it is.. IMO, that Tesla is ugly as sin to begin with.

This is what gull wing doors are supposed to look like:

[​IMG]

Not those hideous afterthoughts hanging over the back seat of what looks like a family sedan!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016