Will increasing system RAM improve game performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wirm

Hi folks, I have a quick question. I have a budget computer with 2.4 gig Celeron and 512 MB RAM and a GForce FX 5500 PCI card that runs Battlefield 1942 / HALO at barely adequate framerates.

I was wondering, if I add another 512 MB of RAM, would that improve gameplay at all? I’m just talking about system RAM, as I don’t really feel like upgrading anything else.

Thanks

512 would help without a doubt. WHat you really need to do is save up and get a whole new rig. You need a non PCI video card, and the celeron (with its terribly low cache and clock speed) to really play games better.

im with atk spade on that too, a new rig would be good. if you think you can get a new rig and want to, give us a price and ill try to help you figure somthing out if your interested. :)

I'm glad you're all willing to help me spend money, but if it's a choice between spending $1000 for a new computer, or forking out $40 for a stick of RAM, I know what I'm doing. :evil:

I see CompUSA is selling 512MB PC3200 184pin DDR DIMM Memory Module for $29.99 after rebate, so I'm eyeballing that right now.

The problem is that I believe my computer is using PC 2700 RAM, and the one I'd like to buy is PC3200. I hope it will work. puke:

Also, can someone tell me what the difference is between the $40 RAM sticks and the ones that cost twice as much? They seem to have the same stats, except with different manufacturers. :knock:

wirm said:
Also, can someone tell me what the difference is between the $40 RAM sticks and the ones that cost twice as much? They seem to have the same stats, except with different manufacturers. :knock:

Well you said it. I would stay away from cheap ram just for reliablity reason. WHat is the brand of RAM on sale? USing 3200 with 2700 will work, but how well...remains to be seen. (some mobos are very picky)

The $30 RAM is Centon brand.

I've never heard of it before, but thirty dollars :bounce:

:evil:

If your willing to spend 18 bucks more, you can get 2700 512 from a top brand. No rebates, and a life time warranty. The RAM can be found here
I would not reccomend using cheap no name RAM. It will just give you a hard time.

Sean

AtK SpAdE said:
If your willing to spend 18 bucks more, you can get 2700 512 from a top brand. No rebates, and a life time warranty. The RAM can be found here
I would not reccomend using cheap no name RAM. It will just give you a hard time.
Ditto. I would rather pay the extra money and get RAM from one of the following companies: Kingston, Corsair, Crucial, OCZ and/or Mushkin. Try to stay away from the cheap brands, even if you are in dire need of more memory.

wirm said:
I'm glad you're all willing to help me spend money
No problem! :angel:

AtK SpAdE said:

Sean

That's an excellent point. I hate rebates, they're a pain in the neck.

Ok, you've convinced me. I just ordered some Corsair RAM from Newegg. :bounce:

Thx for your help. :p

Good to hear that you will be having some relief soon. It was very smart to buy quality stuff. Now start saving that loose change so you can get the next upgrade :p

Good Luck

Sean

When I went from 512 to 1 gig the only difference I noticed is that games and levels loaded alot faster. It didnt impact actual performance for me.

i used to run bf2 on a 512 and the game lagged alot when the map started but after like 5 minutes the whole map became smooth....

after installing another 512 That lag was no longer there and now my games Runs DANDY with all my settings on high except for Lighting and the other i dont remember

So i think gaming performance does improve alot with another ram

I did the same thing a while ago and doubled my RAM - made a huge difference for my machine, but to take it up another notch you gotta do everything. However, I recommend the RAM upgrade - you will notice the difference for sure!

I put the module in yesterday night, but aside from a warm fuzzy feeling, I don't notice any difference :blackeye:

To be fair, I mostly play Diablo II, so it's not like I was really using the original 512 MB.

It's probably my FX 5500 PCI card that's bottlenecking Battlefield 1942 and HALO. But the games say a 64mb video card should be just fine, and I have 128. :knock:

I play battlefield vietnam on mine and it works okay... and we have relatively similar specs! Personally I think the Celeron will be a bit sluggish, but that is a matter of opinion it seems.

=)

if u buy 1 stick of 512 SBRAM from gateway it costs $299 when i could just walk down the street and get it from the pc place for 90 bucks

gateway=overpriced

I second that - go to a local pc shop before getting anything from gateway - just be sure that you are not getting generic brand RAM that will crap out on you... still go for a good brand because nasty RAM hurts!

wirm said:
I put the module in yesterday night, but aside from a warm fuzzy feeling, I don't notice any difference :blackeye:

To be fair, I mostly play Diablo II, so it's not like I was really using the original 512 MB.

It's probably my FX 5500 PCI card that's bottlenecking Battlefield 1942 and HALO. But the games say a 64mb video card should be just fine, and I have 128. :knock:
i dont think that its your video card thats bottlenecking your performance, because i used to have 512 mb of ram and a nvidia 5200 fx card and an amd xp 1700, and it ran halo and bf 1942 just fine. so the problem probably isnt with your video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back