Will my PSU/PC handle GT440?

I have an Elite 8200 SFF with a 240w PSU, i5 2500, 4gb ram. Will the GT440 work or is it too much? Also does it fit? I know its an old card but my options are limited..

Hard to say - that is a mighty small PSU. Also it is about 5 years old and I think that PSUs can get cranky as they age.

The GT440 at 65watts might work, but I think I would want to examine each component and arrive at a total energy budget first (motherboard, cpu, fans, drives, ram, attachments on USBs). Physical size is another issue - you have to measure the space and check card specs..no way around it - and remember that the GT440 can vary quite a bit from one model to another.

Hard to say - that is a mighty small PSU. Also it is about 5 years old and I think that PSUs can get cranky as they age.

The GT440 at 65watts might work, but I think I would want to examine each component and arrive at a total energy budget first (motherboard, cpu, fans, drives, ram, attachments on USBs). Physical size is another issue - you have to measure the space and check card specs..no way around it - and remember that the GT440 can vary quite a bit from one model to another.
What about a GT 710? It seems to require low power and I think it fits..

You have many alternatives, but you still have to do the work yourself.

This may help: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Deskto.../8200-Elite-SFF-Graphics-upgrade/td-p/4786138

Start with energy budget - figure out what you think will work with your PSU. If it is a standard box from a larger maker (yours is) maybe you can find a list of pre-tested upgrades (google is your friend) - that would help you determine what the power limit really is for your configuration.

Assuming you have just the 1 HDD and two sticks of RAM your system under load is pulling around 135-150 watts. The 65 watts of the 440 is prob to much for the age of the PSU. The 19 watts of the 710 would still keep you well below 200 watts under load, and it seems to out perform the 440 so should give you more performance with a much lower power usage, I would go 710.

Back