Will not play video files, when I install codec pack it locks up

Status
Not open for further replies.

SultanGris

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but if not let me know.

I have An Asrock dual sata 939 MOBO, with a opteron 165 dual core processor 1.8ghz, an AGP 7800gs vid card, and 2 gig ddr ram.

I used to have intel p4 3.2 ghz, same vid card, same ram and it all worked just fine, even when using the same codec pack im trying to install now.

windows media player will not play AVI files. says it cant download the codec, so when i install the very same codec i used on my previous machine, and try to play it again, it seems to lock up. the mouse will still move, task manager wont come up, nothing i click on does anything, and acording to my g15 keyboard, both cores of my processor are running around 40-60 percent. Ive let it sit there for a while, but it never recovers, and the screen will flash to black for a second, then come back, it will do this a few times. I have to press the reset button to restart. and every other program that i have tried so far seems to work fine, but it will not play avi files which played just fine on my previous machine. so nothing is wrong with the avi files, i have the latest vid drivers which i also had on my previous machine.

any thoughts or ideas? This is driving me nuts!

Their are 2 types of avi

Yours is probably a divx version.Get a Divx player.
vlc is one.Try here.
http://www.divx.com/
There might be another reason but with avi's it's hard to tell which one it is.

Its the same one that worked just fine on my other pc, and the avi files are the same also, so its not that.

Ive been doing some googling, and it looks like there may be some sort of issues with my vid card, 7800gs, and the agp drivers im supposed to install for my motherboard, ULI AGP driver, which ive never heard of before this board, but anyways, if i install the driver on the disk that came with the motherboard before i install my graphics card drivers, the latest ones, it locks up during the install, but if i install only my graphics card drivers, and not the uli agp drivers they install fine.

I also have this problem, it wont play any aiv files, it opents then freezes. i t started a few days ago and i havent installed any new software and i have run 4 diffrent virus programs and found nothing. After looking on google I found some where that the latest microsoft update had screwed up of something but im not sure.

Hey SultanGris.

Do me a favor and install ACE Mega codecs pack, just interested to see if that will solve your problem

Link:
ACE MEGA CODECS

Let me know.

Fanx! :)

I dont think it has anything to do with the AVI file, or the codec pack i have, as i got both from my other machine where they work just fine.

been doing some googling, here is a link to my mobo page,
http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.asp?Model=939Dual-SATA2

I think it may be related to the ULI AGP drivers, as when i install them first like it says, then it locks up installing my nvidia drivers, but if i dont install the uli agp drivers my nvidia drivers install fine, but i do see some screen flickering when its locked up when trying to play the avi file after installing the codec, but the mouse still moves, and the screen will turn black for a second, and return to normal, and then do it randomly untill i hit the reset button.

and here is a link to another guy with a similar problem with the uli agp drivers, but no solution

http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t12893.html

Kittie said:
I also have this problem, it wont play any aiv files, it opents then freezes. i t started a few days ago and i havent installed any new software and i have run 4 diffrent virus programs and found nothing. After looking on google I found some where that the latest microsoft update had screwed up of something but im not sure.

my problem is diferent from yours, i installed a new MOBO which i think is causing my issue.

papercut_2008 said:
Try VLC media player- its a good all around media player that is very reliable, and can play many file types

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

well, the vlc player played the audio, but still slowed my machine to a crawl and made it unresponsive, other than the audio playing. mouse moved, slowly, and screen flickered to black and back to normal, but no video showed. which makes me think even more its something to do with the uli agp drivers.

Update, Ok, just for giggles I decided to install the uli agp driver AFTER installing my graphics card driver, even though it clearly states in the setup to install uli agp driver first and says if i already installed my graphics driver to reinstall it after installing the uli agp driver, but if i do that it locks up during install. so this time, I did NOT reinstall my graphics driver, and now my avi's play normally. I will update again if i notice any other problems down the road.

Ok, turns out now my game Supreme Commander doesnt work, no graphics. but if i uninstall the ULI agp drivers, it works, and my avi files dont. what a quandry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back