Will this definitely solve my problem?

By alaex_51
Jul 29, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey guys,

A few weeks ago I posted about problems I was having whenever I put in a decent graphics card, that after a few minutes of gaming the computer would completely freeze up, and I would have to reboot. This got very annoying, and I tried a few different graphics cards, and it tends to be the better ones that are worse, as when I used a Radeon 9200SE, there wasn't much crashing at all, only a few infrequent freezes where the screen went completely black. I eventually took out my graphics card altogether and had to live with onboard graphics.

I was advised to get a new PSU by Techspot members... Mine was 300W and these are the specs that were on the sticker...

AC INPUT : 220V -240V ~/3.5A 50Hz
    DC OUTPUT : +5V == /20A MAX -12V == /0.5A MAX +12V1 == /10A MAX
    +5V (5B) == /2A MAX =3.3V ==/20A MAX +12V2 == /13A MAX

Combined Power on +3.3V and +5V rails shall not exceed 130W.
    Combined Power on 12V1 and 12V2 rails Shall not exceed 20A.
    At ambient 25 degrees C Total Power Output shall not exceed 300W.
    At ambient 50 degrees C Total Power Output shall not exceed 270W.

Apparently this was not enough to run the better graphics cards -- I originally bought an Acer T135 and this is the PSU that came with it....put in another 512mb stick of RAM and then tried to put in a graphics card, which resulted in this crashing when playing games. I think the PSU was chosen only to run the components that were in the system already, and little more.

I have now purchased a new PSU and put it in my system... a Sansun Arctic 550W. It has been working fine since I have started using it. The +12V1 in this power supply has an amperage of 20A, and the +12V2 has 19A.

I ruled out the problem as being a heat problem, my case has a huge fan at the front, and two smaller but still large fans at the side, blowing air directly onto the AGP slot.

I am just concerned that this PSU will definitelysolve this crashing problem. I am about to purchase a Gecube Radeon X1600pro (AGP)graphics card, and I don't want to be making a mistake.

Thanks again.
  2. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,896

I would say that your PSU was the problem. 10A on the +12V rail simply isnt near enough juice for today's systems. in fact I have often sen new systems that wouldnt even boot with a power supply that delivered that few amps on the +12V rail.

I have never heard of a sansun so I cant tell you if that PSU will solve your problem or not. all PSU's are not created equal. a Low quality PSU does NOT deliver it's advertised wattage. Your better off sticking with known quality PSU's. PCP&C, Antec, or Enermax.
  3. alaex_51

alaex_51 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 23

4. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,896

That should be sufficient to run your system with a high end graphics card.
  5. alaex_51

alaex_51 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 23

That's good to hear. I will order a Gecube Radeon X1600pro, and hope that it does work with the new PSU. Thanks again, iss. I will report back with how things go.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.