Will this Graphics card work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need a little help.
Compaq Presario Media Center SR1830NX
Mobo: Asus A8AE-LE
Processor: Athlon 64 (v) 3500+ 2.2ghz
Memory: 1gb DDR SDRAM PC-3200

Don't know much about graphics cards so not sure if the one I picked out will work.

3D Fuzion model 3DFR76256GSE
GPU: Geforce 7600GS
Core Clock: 400mhz
Memory: GDDR2

The main thing that throws me off is the different memory types: DDR SDRAM for the processor and GDDR2 on the card. Does it matter? Do they have to match?

Thanks for any help you can give
Steve

I'm assuming you mean the DDR SDRAM for the memory. It doesn't matter if memory is DDR and the Graphics card is GDDR2. No compatibility issues there.

Should work fine from what I can tell. Your board appears to have an empty PCI-e x16 slot, and that card appears to also be the same.

Don't worry about the difference in the memory types. No problem there.

They only potential problem you COULD have would be whether or not your power supply will be up to the job of powering the new graphics card. If you open up the case and have a look at the sticker on the PSU side, it'll tell you the maker and how many watts it is rated at. Post that info here and we can help you to confirm.

Thanks for your help...found out online that the pc comes with a 300w (Merlot C) regulated pwr supp...don't know what the Merlot C or regulated means but from the wattage standpoint it appears a new pwr supp will be needed..

The PC is my son-in-law's and he lives in another state...the card question arises out of my grandson's desire to play Heroes V on this pc....

Please correct me if I am wrong... I think I need a card at least this powerful to play the game and so that means a pwr supply and the card...
They are not gonna like this info...soooo... if anyone would know of a PCI-E card that will run on a 300w pwr supply and run the Heroes V game as well I would appreciate that info so I can at least give them an option...

Thanks again... You have been very helpful..
Steve

You can run a PCI-E Radeon X800GTO on a 300W PSU. However, it has to be a great PSU, with at least 24A on the +12V rail.

I used a FSP Group ATX300-PA, and the X800GTO, and it ran very good.

I did some quick googling on the Merlot C 300w psu and couldn't find much information on it. It looks like it is a HP powersupply?

If that is the case, it may (or may not) become more complicated. You'll need to contact HP to find out if you can use a standard ATX powersupply to replace it. Sometimes HP uses proprietary PSUs, so you need to buy THEIR psu if you want to replace it.

That graphics card needs at least a 350w PSU in order to run well. The other specs of your system are quite good, and I am sure if you upgrade the PSU and graphics card he will have a great gaming experience with it. PSUs are not that expensive these days. You can find a high quality one in the $50 range. Have a look on newegg, especially the FSP brand powersupplies. The only question remaining is whether or not HP uses proprietary PSUs. Check their website and see if you can't chat with an online technician. They are usually fairly helpful if you go that route.

Good luck!

Thank you all very much for your help. Thanks to you I am confident we can pull this off and my grandson is gonna be one happy little guy. He bought the game with his birthday money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back