Will Windows Home Server OS run on quad core PC?

pw2much

I have a Phenom II X4 925 on a M4A785TD-V EVO motherboard with 6GB ram, a Geforce GT 520 video card, and a Corsair 650w PSU, 1 DVD drive and a Blu-ray drive that I want to turn into a server for my home network of 3 computers, what do I need to do to accomplish this?? I was intended to purchase the Windows Home Server 2011 OS to install on it but I'm not sure of the specs of the OS yet!! Any help or opinions would be grateful.

It seems the normal expectation is you purchase the whole device ready-built. Doing it yourself with your own hardware is certainly possible, but I suspect you will find few people will have done that.

There is no reason whatever to think home server 2011 might not support any recent hardware. The major consideration about the hardware side of a server is disk storage and it's secure backup techniques, (possibly cloud storage). Plus the network speed (wireless), and environmental and software security. Video and processor power are both irrelevant.

I am sure lots of people on this site will have built their own home servers, but will have done it for free with one of the major Linux distributions. I for one can see no reason at all for using a MS product as a home server.

I would suggest you briefly explain what you have in mind that makes you feel the need for a server at all. No doubt it is the sharing of a massive collection of games, films and music ? Plus the secure backing-up of them all. Be prepared for a deluge of people advising you to consider a Linux solution. I expect they are right too.

Last edited:
a deluge of people advising you to consider a Linux solution
Unless there is a piece of technology that you can't live without, stick with what you already know. For me, that statement amounts to heresy as my server IS Linux - - but I also have decades of experience in servers and frankly quite prefer it. If you can get the job done on a Home Server, just do it :wink:

@gbhall is correct in that the specs almost are irrelevant. Servers typically don't run with a GUI interface so the graphics just don't matter. I would bicker over using cloud for backup. Suggest you read-up on systems administration (just a bit) and understand the difference between a system level backup and a user level backup. As you do, ask yourself "if the system is crashed and will not boot, just how do I recover?"
Don't be naive in thinking, "oh, I'll just restore one of the backups"

A quad core sand a couple gigs of ram will be more than enough power to run Windows Home Server. Then just get a good pci wifi card and a one or two terabyte hdd and your good to go. I run the older version of windows home server and really like it. As for security just have your router password locked and you can also lock down the server itself with a password and block certain files with passwords or system permissions. and as always windows back up is great but always back up actual files somewhere else.

I for one can see no reason at all for using a MS product as a home server.
Several years ago (like maybe as far back as 2008 or even 07?) there was a public beta release of WHS. I ran it on a spare machine and I could see the appeal of it. It is a normalish GUI for Windows and can be a total backup of all Windows machines on your network almost totally automated with very little setup. I'm sure a more modern version of it is even better (although, lol maybe not <win 8>). I have flirted with the idea of building myself a *nix based server since I'm running more Macs than Windows now, but really I'll probably just forego full system backups and just buy a commercial NAS.

It seems the normal expectation is you purchase the whole device ready-built. Doing it yourself with your own hardware is certainly possible, but I suspect you will find few people will have done that.

There is no reason whatever to think home server 2011 might not support any recent hardware. The major consideration about the hardware side of a server is disk storage and it's secure backup techniques, (possibly cloud storage). Plus the network speed (wireless), and environmental and software security. Video and processor power are both irrelevant.

I am sure lots of people on this site will have built their own home servers, but will have done it for free with one of the major Linux distributions. I for one can see no reason at all for using a MS product as a home server.

I would suggest you briefly explain what you have in mind that makes you feel the need for a server at all. No doubt it is the sharing of a massive collection of games, films and music ? Plus the secure backing-up of them all. Be prepared for a deluge of people advising you to consider a Linux solution. I expect they are right too.

Well, it seems to me this feller has the same question I do as this is all I have to work with. You've placed yourself pretty high up there on that pedestal. You barely answered the guy's question and should have a better answer. Would it be possible to answer the guy's question without you passing judgement on the guy or what he's doing. Anyways, yes, Home Server 2011 will work great with a Phenom processor. 8gb of memory will give you peak performance but 6gb will do just fine.

@Guest IMO, your response is far more offensive. The cited post gives insight and other, free approaches which most would appreciate. hmm; speaking of passing judgement.

I have flirted with the idea of building myself a *nix based server since I'm running more Macs than Windows now, but really I'll probably just forego full system backups and just buy a commercial NAS.
Apache AMP is useful on OS X 10.10 see this guide. (link corrected)

Back