Win 2K Pro & Win 98 both on laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Dell Latitude CPi D266XT that was given to me. I want to wipe the HD and do a fresh install of Win 2K Pro. When I boot up, there is a screen that asks me to choose which Windows OS I want to use. The options are Win 2K Pro (default) and plain Microsoft Windows. When I choose Microsoft Windows, Windows 98 startup screen flashes and then it goes to a blank screen with just a C:\ prompt.

The laptop does not have a floppy installed. My concern is that once I erase the HD using the manufacturer's Erase utility I may not be able to get the CD-Rom to boot with the Boot information I copied from a floppy onto a CD. When I hit the F8 key to look at the BIOS menu, I get another list of options but not the BIOS screen. Am I concerned for nothing about the bootup sequence? Obviously it is set to boot by the CD-Rom drive since there isn't an onboard floppy.

I don't want to mess anything up but do want to get a clean install of Win 2K Pro. Any advice anyone?

F8 brings up your boot gui not your bios!!!!

Try pressing del, F1, or F2 as the laptop starts, one of them should get you into your bios!!!!

You have to hit the blue Fn key and F1! :)

Now about the concerns of the 2 OS and how not to fear erasing "00" HD and fresh install. If, after I use the Fujitsu utility, the system won't boot from the CD with the floppy files on it, what should I do? Other than panic, that is.

See if you can get it to boot from cd before you clear the hard drive off!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back