Win 3.1/3.11

Status
Not open for further replies.

josbd

I have just been given a tiny Dell laptop, tis an old Latitude 486: something to play with basically, but the only OS that will work on it is apparently Win 3.1 (although I guess Linux would be worth a go) Does anyone have any idea where I might be able to download 3.1 from? I have searched in vain for a couple of days, asked any number of buddies. Even the serial horders seemed to have dumped their disks! Any help would be gratefully received. Thing is, I know I could buy it on ebay, but the financial restraints are such that even a fiver is out of the question right now, sad tho that sounds!!

If you are just wanting to toy around with the old machine, I'd recommend you have a look here www.freeos.com
There are quite a few OSes there that will run on older systems, some are still being developed, some aren't.
You might also look at an older distro of Linux, or look around at garage sales and stuff.

I have gotten a lot of old machines for next to nothing and they usually have all the disks that the owner had for them(including the install disks for the OS)

You didn't mention the speed of the cpu, but a 486 should be able to run Win 95, though I'd personally rather have 3.1 or an old Linux distro.

Please do not discuss piracy on Techspot

It is against the TOS you agreed to when you registered

Thank you

Apologies Per.

And thanks guys for all your help, it really is very very much appreciated! I shall check out everything, and report back.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back