TechSpot

Win 7 can't see one module of RAM

By LeeLuck
Dec 24, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi peeps, merry xmas to you all ;p

I just installed 2 strips of DDR2, the exact make my Asus MB requires as the old ram that was in it was different speeds.

Originally it had 1.5gig so i repleced the 2 strips for 2x1gig strips of matcjing everything.

So switched PC on and now windows tells me i onlyhave 1 gig installed !

Cpuz tells me both are there and tells me the exact info that is required but windows only tells me i have 1 gig now when it said i had 1.5gig with miass matched ram ??

Puter seems smoother so my question is, :-

Is W7 32bit using 2gig or is it not ?

Why cant thing just work lol lol lol also on the ram it states it is PC2-4200 DDR2 Memory RAM DDR2-533 533MHz but if you check the cpuz file it states different .

Dont know what to do now. is the ram faulty ? miss labeld ? or what ?

Thanks for any ideas.

Here is the cpuz file.

2. LeeLuck

LeeLuck TS Member Topic Starter Posts: 86

Ok hold the horses lol I took the slots out and swapped them round and proper made sure they were in, so now W7 tells me i have 2gig yey but cpuz still telss me they are PC2-5300 (333 MHz) and not PC2-4200 (533MHz) as the label says on the moduels.

Is Cpuz right or are the stick right ? i bought these off ebay from a reputable dealer so if there is an issue i need to resolve it cos if i paid for 533MHz and i only got 333MHz then i need a refund os some sort dont i ?

Thanks again.

3. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,735   +894

PC-5300 is actually 667Mhz and the RAM clock would be running @ 333Mhz to attain the rated speed.

PC-4200 would be 533Mhz and the RAM clock would be running @266Mhz to achieve the rated speed.

You can check the Modules with SIW download it here; http://www.gtopala.com/ Download the "Freestanding English Version" to your desktop, and just double-click it to run.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.