Win Vista Home Premium. Warning error. System restarts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, Thank you for your time. For the past two weeks my laptop unexpectedly shows a yellow warning sign with an exclamation mark. And then it suddenly restarts.

Amount of RAM? Security software? How old is your system? Please explain Yellow Exclamation mark, i.e., when does this occur and does it state anything? Is this issue random or are you doing particular things when it occurs?

-2048MB RAM
1.85 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo
64 kilobyte primary memory cache

-Security software: I have installed CA Antivirus. Malawarebytes.

-Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1 (build 6001)

-States: 'System shutdown' I don't remember exactly. As soon as warning sign appears system restarts.

-The issue is random. Happens mins or hours after laptop is turned on. I could be just using notepad and windows will show warning and restart. System could be on standby mode and suddenly restart. Or it sometimes lasts hours before windows shows warning then restart.

Let's start with a very basic but very important diagnostic step of testing your RAM with Memtest. This is free and completely safe.

See the link below and follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed but either one should work. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

* Get back to us with the results.

I have not been able to run the test.

My laptop cd drive doesn't work. It does not read cd's. And I don't have a floppy drive.

I dont' know how to boot from usb.
I'm stuck

These are the tools I have: PowerISO, WINZIP 32, Winrar, ISO Buster, Magic Disc, Daemeon tools.
I don't know how to use these tools.

I followed the directions step by step.
First I made my bootable usb stick by following hp usb disck storage format tool directions.
Second I downloaded Pre-Compiled EXE file for USB Key (Pure DOS)
Third I extracted the memtest to the usb.
Fourth Restarted my Comp and change boot order to boot from usb
Fifth Boot from usb and the black screen comes up and states:

"Microsoft (R) Windows 98
(C) Copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1988
C:\>"

What am I doing wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back