Win XP 64bit vs. Win XP 32bit... who wins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matav

which one is better?
Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
or
Windows XP Professional 32bit
can anyone tell me the MAJOR differences in both.
history: i am using Windows XP Pro SP2 32bit and recently got the "Windows XP Professional x64 Edition", which supports 64bit processors and mine is a Intel Pentium D [i.e Dual-Core and m/b is D102GGC2], so it should get installed on my PC.
but should i install the 64bit edition? wat will be the pros & cons of doing this?
another question pertaining to WIN XP PRO 64x is that it contains "Windows Server 2003".
do i need it?
even if i dont need it and still install 64x, will my computer work better?

XP x64 doesn't "contain" Server 2003, it's just built on Server 2003 x64 kernel.

I don't think your computer will work better or worse, it's just XP like the 32-bit one.

However, I don't think you can upgrade from XP to XP x64, so you'd have to reinstall everything.

Most of the people here are going to tell you not to use XP 64 because it has so many incompatabilities. So really there is no reason to change unless you are running 4+ gigs of ram.

If there are drivers for all your hardware, and you just want to run it for whatever reason, then go for it. It behaves just like regular XP, except 32bit programs get installed to C:\Program Files(x86) or something like that.

which are the incompatiblities?
all i care is that all my programs should get installed and execute properly on the Win XP Pro 64x.

There are numerous driver incompatibilites with XP x64. BSODs and random crashes are a common issue. If you really want an x64 OS, get Vista x64 instead. It's much more stable.
And if you think having a 64-bit OS with a 64-bit processor is necessary, well, it isn't. Most people here, use 32-bit OSes with 64-bit processors. Don't be confused by the whole '64-bit' thingy. Get Windows XP 32-bit and save yourself some trouble. :)

all i care is that all my programs should get installed and execute properly on the Win XP Pro 64x.
YHeah, that seems to be the problem. There's a 32-bit compatability mode, but it doesn't seem to always work. The performanc diff is negligible. I strongly recommend 32-bit windows for the time being.

thanks guys...
i had read online [somewhere] about the program incompatibilities but wanted comments on it.
so i think i'll stick to my Windows XP SP2 [32bit].
cauz wats the use of Windows if my programs and games will crash. [not that they dont on 32bit... silly windows]
but Windows is become, like, a standard in this world.
sometimes i load linux to surf net [cause it looks so gr8 on back|track]
but its too much trouble searching for tools and utilities all over again for linux.
and that goes for Win XP 64x too.
if someone gave me the 64bit compatible versions of most of my programs on a silver platter, i'd reconsider installing Win XP 64x.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back