TechSpot

Win2000 server with possible HD problem?

By PFJ
Sep 21, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HP netserver800E / OS:2000 server family, 36GB HP HD. I attempted 20-30 times booting from floppies & RAM and once or twice I got as far as a selection to 'R' repair and re-install the OS. Occasionally I get a message about missing file(s) but then it freezes on please wait while windows setup...

I cant get to safe mode with DOS to preform a CHKDSK /F.

Is there a piece of software that will get me into DOS or AV I can run from a floppy in DOS?

If I could get it to the next stage to scan for missing files and restore them from the origianl disks would be great!

Regards

PFJ
  2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 4,985

It could well be a ram fault. Google and get memtest and run it for atleas 8 passes.
  3. PFJ

PFJ TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 132

Tkanks Rik, even though the initial DOS prompt says 'mem passed'. I've just used F8 and got a 'NO OS...' prompt.
  4. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 4,985

Everything a pc does passes through ram, so its worth testing it.
  5. PFJ

PFJ TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 132

Thanks Rik, but it looks like the HD has failed. I found a Diagnostic disk among the HP literature. I had to found two floppies but in the end they said that the HD had failed the test. It's a SCSI 36GB.

It's strange. Two weeks or so ago we had a new HP server installed running in tandem with this old server. This week the new server failed, the old server failed and the modem/router failed! coincidence or what?
    IT guys say it's a hardware defect in the new server.

Sad part is that a lot of important files are lost to the company.

Have a nice weekend...I'm clocking off now

Regards

PFJ
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.