Win7 VirtualPC Linux install failure

cliffordcooley

I downloaded:
  • debian-7.1.0-amd64-netinst.iso
  • ubuntu-12.04.3-desktop-i386.iso
After trying to install Debian, I think but not sure my problem was installing a 64-bit client. I'm not sure VirtualPC will handle 64-bit clients. Anyway after reading a few post through the forum, I think I should start with Ubuntu. After downloading Ubuntu and trying to get VirtualPC to mount the ISO, it errors out before it even starts. Something about "Segmentation Fault".
  • Is this due to allowing VirtualPC to create the partition?
  • Do I need to format the partition to a different file system before trying to install Ubuntu?
I was hoping Ubuntu would format the partition for me. As it is I have no clue what partition type to use.

I recommend using Virtual Box. Try using it and see if that works. I dont think this is an issue, but do you have Virtualization enabled in BIOS?

I recommend using Virtual Box. Try using it and see if that works. I dont think this is an issue, but do you have Virtualization enabled in BIOS?
If I can, I'd like to stay with VirtualPC, so I can keep all my virtual installs in one place. I have Windows XP Mode installed. I think virtualization is enabled, I'll have to check to be positive.

If I can, I'd like to stay with VirtualPC, so I can keep all my virtual installs in one place. I have Windows XP Mode installed. I think virtualization is enabled, I'll have to check to be positive.

Sorry but that is really all I can help you with. I am not really an expert with this. All I can recommend is that you try it with VirtualBox if you can (I know you want to use VirtualPC, but it may be worth a try to see if the error comes up in VB also).

Has anyone had luck installing Ubuntu within Virtual PC?

I've just burned the ISO image to disk, and still getting the same errors.

Does this article help at all?
Thats the exact procedure I went through on my own.

I did take you up on the offer to try VirtualBox. Ubuntu installed fine in VirtualBox. I noticed there were a few options for compatibility with other Virtual Machines during install when choosing the type of virtual drive. I choose VHD in hopes it will be compatible with Virtual PC. I'm still a bit lost in Ubuntu for the moment, so it will be a little while before I check that theory.

Thats the exact procedure I went through on my own.

I did take you up on the offer to try VirtualBox. Ubuntu installed fine in VirtualBox. I noticed there were a few options for compatibility with other Virtual Machines during install when choosing the type of virtual drive. I choose VHD in hopes it will be compatible with Virtual PC. I'm still a bit lost in Ubuntu for the moment, so it will be a little while before I check that theory.

Haha, best of luck man. Great to hear you switched to VirtualBox. It is Open source which means it is automatically awesome :D lol.

Back