Win98SE and XP or Vista File Sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

NetCablesPlus

Hi,

I have an old Win 98SE laptop that I would like to copy about 250 Mb of data from onto either a newer XP or Vista computer at home. They are all connected (hardwired) to a Linksys router. The BIG problem (I believe) is that I long ago forgot the Windows login password for the old laptop and simply hit the 'escape' key when the login screen comes up (you could do that with Win98 and I have done so for years), so the laptop is not seen on the network by the other machines.

Any thoughts as to how I might be able to access the old laptop? Would connecting via a crossover cable directly between the two machines make it any easier to do this? Any other ways to do this? Thanks.

the router is the right way to go and will be less complex than a direct cross-over connection.

you issue WILL be the Win98 password. If you can get onto the system, then
use the CP-User Accounts and set a new one.

Vista has some tricks of its own to solve -- see this https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic91675.html#4

ALL machines need the same workgroup name and to be able to ping one another.

Thanks jobeard! I will try to work this out over the holiday weekend. Adding an account was not something that I thought of to get around the password issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back