Winamp lives on past shutdown date as talk of Microsoft acquisition heats up

By Shawn Knight
Dec 23, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Winamp was supposed to shut down late last week but surprisingly enough, the company’s website is still alive and the desktop application remains available. Did someone simply forget to take the site / app down or is something else going...

Read more
  2. psycros

psycros TechSpot Booster Posts: 671   +202

Winamp's superior smart playlists, modest resource usage and overall customization potential have yet to be equaled. Its always been more a labor of love than profit, which thankfully means Winamp has few artificial limitations.
    platinumsteel and Littleczr like this.
  3. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 943   +82

When I heard that WinAmp was closing I rushed out and downloaded a copy. I don't often listen to local music (music on my hard drive) these days, but when I do, I prefer the older WinAmp to do the job for me. I was playing around with the new WinAmp recently and never got the file sync to my Android working. Maybe that's something which Microsoft can help clean up?
  4. Littleczr

Littleczr TechSpot Booster Posts: 368   +68

Winamp has been playing my music since the Notorious B.I.G days.
    platinumsteel likes this.
  5. Never mind Microsoft, the friendly folks at the Winamp Forums can help you with that right now.

http://forums.winamp.com
  6. BlackMoonWolf

BlackMoonWolf TechSpot Member

I certainly wouldn't say that Winamp's resource usage was "modest". At least not after they started developing the 5.x series.

I personally felt like Winamp 5.x was terrible. It was overly-complicated. The interface was definitely far too busy and inflexible where user reconfiguration was concerned. Winamp 5.x was also a huge memory hog. (Relatively speaking, of course.) For what it was; it should NEVER have taken so much memory or CPU time. Back in the days when it first came out, it's memory usage was often detrimental to stability on a busy system.

I tried it. I switched back to Winamp v2.91. It was excellent again.

Now? I use AIMP 3. It's developed by some guy in Russia. But it's reminiscent of Winamp 2.91 with it's interface...and there is a great deal more under the hood. It's a great music player. It even has tabbed playlists and some really nice themes. Plus it is in constant development.

Winamp was great in it's day. It had it's day then saw it's own decline as other, better audio software came out. I personally won't miss it a whole terrible lot. They just failed to innovate quickly enough to keep up is all.
  7. BlackMoonWolf

BlackMoonWolf TechSpot Member

Try AIMP 3 as a replacement. (www.aimp2.us) With AIMP 3, you will not lament Winamp's demise (if it actually happens) for long. It's simplicity and usability and core features put Winamp's current offerings to shame.
  8. Puiu

Puiu TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,025   +91

Still my go to music player (along potplayer for video). although I like using the classic 2.x skin ^_^
  9. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,729   +874

The WinAMP software was a game changer back then. RIP.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.