Window takes 10 MIN to boot or access "My Computer"

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone can help you would all be the best! The other day my wifes computer stating having sevre issues. When trying to boot XP SP2, it takes about 10 min, it does this in Safe Mode as well. After the main loading process and before the login screen, everything just hangs for about 10 min. Eventually it will load up, but if you the click on "My Computer" then the same things happens, you get the 10 min wait for it to finally load.

I have run chkdisk and scanned for viri, but have not found anything. Here is the part of the results from the HijackThis log, the full is attached. If anyone sees anything strange, PLEASE let me know. The only option I seem to be left with at this point is to try and reinstall the OS if the issues cannot be resolved.

Thanks in advance

Ok I have not checked you hijackthis log but go to start -> run and enter "eventvwr.msc" and check the logs for errors, post up any of those errors here. From what you're saying there should be a lot of them.

You do not need to post the HJT log, the attachment is fine.

I can see a possible Trojan in there. It may be an idea to wait for one of the experts though...

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

You`re running an outdated version of HijackThis and your system is infected with malware.

I have moved your thread to the correct forum.

Very Important: Before deciding whether you should clean or reformat your system, go and read this thread HERE and decide what it is you want to do.

If after reading the above, you wish to clean your system, do the following.

Go and read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT, AVG Antispyware and Combofix logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Also, let me know the results of the AVG Antirootkit scan.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of brien8cake only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

The event viewer showed that there was an issue with the DVD drive... I did a search on the error and that is what it appears was the issue. Removed the drive from the laptop and that seems to have fixed the issue! Boy do I feel stupid! I got myself into a midset that it must be some malware or something of the like and didn't even think to look for a basic hardware issue.

Thanks for the suggestion, if anyone sees anything in the HJT that is odd I would still be grateful just to make sure things are alright.

Thanks again

Please follow the instructions in my post above, then post the requested logfiles as attachments.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of brien8cake only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back