Windows 10 Mobile isn't a focus for Microsoft in 2016

Scorpus

Staff member

Microsoft has been improving many different areas of the Windows 10 experience recently, and the upcoming Anniversary Update will add even more new features, but there is one variant of Windows 10 that hasn't received as much attention: Windows 10 Mobile.

Windows chief Terry Myerson, speaking to The Verge, stated at Build 2016 that Windows 10 Mobile is not a focus for Microsoft over the coming year. According to him, the mobile variant of Windows is "part of the family but it's not the core of where I hope to generate developer interest over the next year."

Myerson even admitted that the user base of Windows 10 Mobile isn't significant enough: "if you wanted to reach a lot of phone customers, Windows Phone isn't the way to do it." Instead, the best way to reach customers is by developing apps for 9 to 30-inch screens (in other words, tablet, laptop and desktop users), while Xbox and HoloLens provide platforms to do "new and exciting things".

These statements from Myerson highlight why Microsoft has been focusing on other platforms, even rival mobile operating systems like Android and iOS, rather than Windows 10 Mobile. The potential target audience is simply greater on Windows 10 for desktops and rival mobile platforms, and with limited resources Microsoft wants to ensure these platforms deliver a great experience.

However, Microsoft isn't giving up on Windows 10 Mobile entirely. Although the mobile version of Windows isn't the company's focus this year, Myerson says that they're "going to do some cool things with phones" in the future. Whether that means Microsoft has a Surface Phone up their sleeves, only time will tell.

Permalink to story.

Windows 10 Mobile is not a focus for Microsoft over the coming year

It never will. But I guess everyone here knows it already. Why don't MS just accept defeat from Android and iOS and work on other thing that is worth releasing. Another surface notebook is a much better news than Windows 11 Mobile.

Windows 10 Mobile is not a focus for Microsoft over the coming year

It never will. But I guess everyone here knows it already. Why don't MS just accept defeat from Android and iOS and work on other thing that is worth releasing. Another surface notebook is a much better news than Windows 11 Mobile.

I think their reasoning is because Windows 10 Mobile could eventually become an attractive phone OS --- and by eventually, I mean long term, like 5 years or longer. And I don't say that to be funny, but as technology matures, Microsoft's continuum concept will become extremely powerful and with their push of UWP apps, Microsoft has a chance to fill their app store with quality apps --- without even asking companies and developers to do it for Windows Phones. Sure these developers still have to target & design a UI for phone, but it will be the same backend code running on all XBOX, PC, Tablets & HoloLens devices. So if you think about it, it's not a bad plan --- Microsoft could potentially indirectly save Windows Mobile.

Sataya is playing this very well.

No. I am asking when it was a success. Never.

And is this article about Windows Mobile / Phone's measure of success (or lack there of)? I just don't get why you mentioned 'success' in the comments when this article doesn't mention anything about it --- get what I'm saying?

Microsoft has never had a good relationship with cell carriers. MS has never made their mobile phones appealing, other than to a small percentage of smartphone users who tolerated its' shortcomings. MS has not released a mobile OS that hasn't spark a litany of complaints, after killing Windows Mobile 6 to introduce Windows Phone 7 in October 2010. It's wise of them to not focus on Windows phone, since they don't yet know how to become a resounding success in the smartphone arena. If they leave it alone it just might come back on its own someday once the bugs are smoothed out and enough apps exist to satisfy just about everyone. Just don't kill it off Microsoft. It's a good platform, with plenty of potential, in spite of MS's mistakes.

Poor MS, wrong again.
Why do they let this people speak...?

I was for years hardcore Android user and switched to Windows Mobile to have a smooth experience across all my windows devices. How will you win new customers when you tell everybody outright that you don't care if they user your Products.

Way to ruin a great Mobile OS. Balmer botched this one good.

...Microsoft's continuum concept will become extremely powerful and with their push of UWP apps, Microsoft has a chance to fill their app store with quality apps --- without even asking companies and developers to do it for Windows Phones.

That's the entire rationale behind Windows 8 and Windows 10 in a nutshell. Without that goal, we could have had a desktop Windows version that was actually designed for the platform rather than the current ridiculous hodge-podge of TIFKAM and Win32 design elements that serves neither platform ideally.

As long as Continuum keeps forcing (on the desktop; I have no concern for Windows mobile) an ugly, flat UI with comically oversized elements and controls, with poorly utilized screen space and the need to drill down through multiple layers of menus to do the simplest things, I'll "continuum" to use something else.

I don't care about Windows mobile. Really, I wish it would just go away, so MS could go back to making a PC OS that is about serving the user's needs instead of one whose primary purpose is to make up for lost time in the smart phone market.

Back