Windows 10 not recognising new HDD

waterproof

Hi all,

I purchased a brand new WD blue HDD to use as backup storage for additional games/documents, unfortunately windows 10 is not recognising it in Disk Management (it's not listed, even as unallocated disk space) however it is showing up in Device Manager under Disk Drive and also in the BIOS.

I tested the HDD and (WD tool) states it is fine. I tried plugging the HDD into my laptop, same thing (windows 10 laptop). This is a normal internal HDD which I plan to use as a backup drive for my PC.

I connected it via (USB disk dock) onto my windows 10 laptop, it's still wont come up in Disk Management as Unallocated space.

I've already restarted few times both my PC and laptop, same result.

I notice in 'events' it shows:

Device USBSTOR\Disk&Ven_WDC_WD20&Prod_EZRZ-00Z5HB0&Rev_\DCC45E17FFFF&0 could not be migrated.

Anyone can shed light why this is happening?

Did you allow windows 10 to take ownership of that drive ?
Check your partition with easus to see if it will pop up.
http://download.easeus.com/trial/epm_trial.exe
If the partition on the hdd is not recognized or formatted right, erase it with easus.
Then you want to make a logical partition not a primary partition.
Also make sure the usb cord for the drive has not slits or cuts anywhere on it.

Make sure the connector is not bent or scratched or it will have problems staying connected and will corrupt the hard drive.
Check your drive in your computer uefi setup screen, it should appear and list its model number with alotted space.
Thats a good sign the drive is working and not busted like someone else mentioned.

On my PC I had problems getting Windows 10 to recognize my new NVME drive. I reset the BIOS to default, and it found it.

Back