Windows 10 to be free in its first year

bazz2004

"Microsoft has announced that its next operating system will be offered as a free upgrade to owners of devices running Windows 8, Windows 7 and Windows Phone.

The announcement marks a change in strategy to its previous policy of charging for major updates.

The offer, which is limited to the OS's first year of release, may aid its adoption."

We shall see.......how they eventually make sure you pay through the nose for it.

Exactly, they are going to give away for free so that they can rape you over, and OVER and OVER again, year, after YEAR, after YEAR. Paying the same money over and over and over again for the same functionality. New functionality except that it's NOT. Just has a new coat of paint from a color palette of 16 colors, primarily purple and white.

"There is nothing new under the sun."

Windows-as-a-Service? LOL. Why? They make it seem like everybody on planet Earth has an addiction to updates. Like I can't wait every 3 years to get a new operating system. Other than the new 'marking up' the 'markup' feature in the new Spartan browser and possibly DX12 features there's nothing I care about in Windows 10 all that much. And I sure as hell ain't gonna pay a monthly fee for new features.

This is gonna be a complete train wreck. I am gonna enjoy watching all this from the sidelines. From the comfort of my Windows 7 chair.

Oh, better take that 12 off the DX name. Because versions are going to be things of the past. :) Wait, that means the 10 on the Windows name has to go also, yes? *shaking head in confusion*

Do we "really want" an operating system that changes daily? I wouldn't think so.

Let the Chaos Begin!!!!

Last edited:
I doubt that with the strong competition that Microsoft will try that. Microsoft used to do some really good software in the earlier years but now all they seem interested in is Office and yes I think it's a cheek to expect users to pay a yearly subscription to use it. Microsoft could usefully employ a programming team to write new software particularly apps if they still think that route is so important for them and making some of the old gems compatible with recent OS's. Pandora's Box and the dead easy to use Microsoft Home Publishing Suite come to mind.

I don't think there is any indication that Windows 10 is going to be a subscription based OS.

Maybe the next version, but there will still likely be a fully paid for 1 time price, just like how you can get Office 365 or you can still buy Office 2013 (and 2016 later this year).

I don't think there is any indication that Windows 10 is going to be a subscription based OS.

Maybe the next version, but there will still likely be a fully paid for 1 time price, just like how you can get Office 365 or you can still buy Office 2013 (and 2016 later this year).

Then your not reading between the lines. Windows 10, according to Microsoft is the last major operating system that will ever be released. There is no next version. Windows 10 is going to be subscription based. The question is not if. The question is when.

If it helps us escape all those very inconvenient Windows updates and means the end of software incompatibility I could live with a modest fee. Do you think they'll bundle in better security too? Microsoft are taking their time on this one so they are more likely to get it right. I do think these tech giants have so many resources at their disposal that they can recover from big mistakes. Sony on the other hand look to be approaching the rocks.

Then your not reading between the lines. Windows 10, according to Microsoft is the last major operating system that will ever be released. There is no next version. Windows 10 is going to be subscription based. The question is not if. The question is when.
There is no reading between the lines to be had.
There was some confusion, however, when Microsoft's Terry Myerson started talking about Windows 10 "as a service." Did that mean that after that first year of free availability, Windows 10 would cost an annual fee? I asked Myerson for clarification after the presentation, and he confirmed that there will be no additional fees attached to Windows 10, whenever you buy it.
Source: http://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-windows-10-will-not-be-sold-as-a-subscription/

I suggest you read the full article (its only a few paragraphs). As I said above, perhaps in the next version, but Windows 10 is not going to be subscription based. And even if the next version is (after 10) there will likely be a way to own it outright, without a subscription.

Funny that, "Free for the first year" Most seasoned adopters usually upgrade after the first year.

I have two PC`s and Laptop for light usage. I may upgrade on the laptop and give it a few months...

Subscription base OS no way.. I know going to make you login into the OS through Microsoft Account. Just too much big brother watching what you do on your PC. So much control over the the Microsoft Phone too. So from the internet I can Ring my Windows Phone. What else can Microsoft do. Seems too much in the face control.

Back