Windows 10 update is breaking Sleep Mode

midian182

Staff member
Facepalm: In a totally unexpected turn of events, a Windows 10 update has broken one of the OS’s major features. On this occasion, the bug is affecting some machines' Sleep Mode, with cases of computers repeatedly waking up for no reason, or the low power state not working at all. But there is a temporary fix.

Windows Latest reports that the issue first appeared with the Windows May 2020 update, which introduced a slew of glitches to many PCs. Windows 10 KB4568831 fixed the borked Sleep Mode, but the problem has returned for some users who’ve installed the September 2020 optional update.

“When I close the lid, press the power button, or select Sleep in the power menu or the win-x menu, instead of sleeping, the screen simply turns off, and my laptop does not go to sleep even after leaving it alone all night,” one person wrote on Microsoft’s forum.

Users discovered this is the fault of a Windows Update process called “MoUSO Core Worker Process.” It’s causing unwanted wakeups on PCs that have applied Windows 10 version 2004 and have an optional update pending for installation.

If your Sleep Mode is no longer working, the issue can be fixed by going into Windows Updates Settings and preventing the update service from running at odd hours. It’s then a matter of simply rebooting your PC and trying Sleep Mode again.

If that doesn’t work, Windows Latest recommends trying the following steps:

1. Open Windows Search.

2. Search for ‘Services.msc’.

3. In the Services window, look for ‘Windows Update’ service.

4. Click on Windows Update and select ‘Stop.’

5. Click on the same entry again and select ‘Start’ and then select ‘Restart.’

6. Go to Windows Update and click on Check for updates. Install the pending updates and reboot your device.

This is only a temporary solution, but it should stop MoUsoCoreWorker.exe from preventing Sleep Mode. There's no word yet on whether Microsoft is working on a fix.

Image credit: OtmarW

Permalink to story.

You can fix this by preventing Windows Update from waking the PC at all.

Open the Start menu, search for Group Policy, and head to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Updates, then double-click Enabling Windows Update Power Management to set it to Disabled.

It really is getting tiresome seeing these news stories about Windows 10 updates causing issues. No update is going to be perfect - some people are always going to have some minor issues. Windows has a massive spectrum of hardware to try and support. Most people are getting on just fine.

Every time one of these gets published, you get the usual people chiming in saying "oh well I never have issues with Windows 7, don't update!" which of course is rubbish. Meanwhile I'm sitting here with my Thinkpad X1 Carbon and have never had a single issue with a Windows 10 update, ever. It's just predictable, recycled journalism at this point.

This guy is just fanboying M$.

I have had to re-install Windows 10 3 times so far as installing non-optional updates made my SSD's non-writable, prevented the editing of my M$ Office files and in general wrought havoc to my PC.

This has happened on 3 separate occasions and it's the 3rd time it has happened now with the most recent update.

Google:

- Can't Copy or move files after upgraded to Windows 10
- Cannot change files/folders from "read only'

These are only just 2 of the serious issues that real people, professionals not fanboi kiddies, are having. None of the solutions M$ proposes are working and the safest option is to either reinstall or simply restore image of C drive saved to a different drive with Acronis True Image in order to save you all the hassle.

So yeah, just don't listen to fanbois on the internet. Don't forget, if you use your PC for work, that someone's fanboyism may end up costing you real $$.

I have completely disabled updates and also disabled the M$ Windows Update Service. Just not worth the hassle at this point as I use my PC for work.

I just tested this on my notebook and on my desktop that I put to sleep every night and they both go to sleep with this optional update installed. No issues here.

No surprises here that Microsoft would bork another feature with an update. How many is that now since the beginning of the year?

My laptop used to wake up with Win 10 installed, and I did not have this latest update. The best that I could figure was that it was waking up to do updates - even though it was not connected to the internet. Go Figure:confused:

Every time one of these gets published, you get the usual people chiming in saying "oh well I never have issues with Windows 7, don't update!" which of course is rubbish. Meanwhile I'm sitting here with my Thinkpad X1 Carbon and have never had a single issue with a Windows 10 update, ever. It's just predictable, recycled journalism at this point.
Every time there is an article like this, I am tired of seeing people chime in and say "I never had any problems, Ever" Consider yourself lucky. I have had problems that were serious in the past - so serious that my computer was unusable without restoring my image backup. I also know a colleague at work who's computer became unusable.

It is a logical fallacy to assume that because you have no problems, no one has problems.

Whenever one of these articles is put up by Techspot, the usual tin-hat crew who like to call Microsoft M$ and think Mr Robot is a documentary pipe up with their nonsense about disabling windows updates and claim that Windows falls over every time they glance in its general direction.

And THIS from the same guy that says EVERYONE should be required to get the Wuhan flu shot. (Bill Gates). I wonder how many patches this vaccine will need.
First patch fixes the issue with your private parts falling off. Second one fixes uncontrolled diarrhea, third one keeps your hair from falling out, fourth one takes the green out of your skin and so on. LOL.

SMMFH. This is getting ridiculous.

I built a new PC and installed a fresh copy of Win10 v2004 (April release). A total mess.

I can't prove it, but I think M$ deliberately decided to stop supporting legacy hardware to force people to upgrade. A lot of legacy hardware that worked just fine under v1903 suddenly could not find a compatible driver under v2004.

After a couple of days of banging my head on my desk, I ended up reformatting (out of my frustration, I forgot to backup some important personal files which are now gone forever) and installing old v1903 from another CD.

v1903 is FAR from perfect (plenty of bugs of its own), but better than v2004. I've been waiting for M$ to fix v2004 so I can "upgrade" from v1903, but M$ just can't roll out an update that isn't a buggy mess anymore.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Microsoft: Release an updated version of "Windows-7"... call it "Windows 9" (Basically just Win7 with DX12 and Win10 driver support.)

Last edited:
I had an issue, on 2004. I used my brain and found a command on Windows to show me what hardware and software woke my computer up. Wasn't the file mentioned in this article at all, it was my ethernet driver which I subsequently set to not wake the computer. Never had this problem in the past, but solved it easily.

God even the clueless person who wrote this article couldn't provide this info. Here is a tip for a more inclined user, search this in Google.

powercfg -lastwake

I had an issue, on 2004. I used my brain and found a command on Windows to show me what hardware and software woke my computer up. Wasn't the file mentioned in this article at all, it was my ethernet driver which I subsequently set to not wake the computer. Never had this problem in the past, but solved it easily.

God even the clueless person who wrote this article couldn't provide this info. Here is a tip for a more inclined user, search this in Google.

powercfg -lastwake
Yes, but doing that would be against the general narrative that so many sites have which is to hate Microsoft because it's cool to do so.

I built a new PC and installed a fresh copy of Win10 v2004 (April release). A total mess.

I can't prove it, but I think M$ deliberately decided to stop supporting legacy hardware to force people to upgrade. A lot of legacy hardware that worked just fine under v1903 suddenly could not find a compatible driver under v2004.

After a couple of days of banging my head on my desk, I ended up reformatting (out of my frustration, I forgot to backup some important personal files which are now gone forever) and installing old v1903 from another CD.

v1903 is FAR from perfect (plenty of bugs of its own), but better than v2004. I've been waiting for M$ to fix v2004 so I can "upgrade" from v1903, but M$ just can't roll out an update that isn't a buggy mess anymore.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Microsoft: Release an updated version of "Windows-7"... call it "Windows 9" (Basically just Win7 with DX12 and Win10 driver support.)

I still want my X P :) Try 1803 its better than 1903

Last edited:

powercfg -lastwake
Aren't there also viruses that keep your computer from sleeping?

Aren't there also viruses that keep your computer from sleeping?
Other than for Bitcoin mining, I don't see why it would be advantageous for a virus to keep your computer from going to sleep. It would be rather stupid if you ask me.

So if you keep a good, sound, and secure system like you should, you shouldn't have an issue with viruses.

This guy is just fanboying M$.

I have had to re-install Windows 10 3 times so far as installing non-optional updates made my SSD's non-writable, prevented the editing of my M$ Office files and in general wrought havoc to my PC.

This has happened on 3 separate occasions and it's the 3rd time it has happened now with the most recent update.

Google:

- Can't Copy or move files after upgraded to Windows 10
- Cannot change files/folders from "read only'

These are only just 2 of the serious issues that real people, professionals not fanboi kiddies, are having. None of the solutions M$ proposes are working and the safest option is to either reinstall or simply restore image of C drive saved to a different drive with Acronis True Image in order to save you all the hassle.

So yeah, just don't listen to fanbois on the internet. Don't forget, if you use your PC for work, that someone's fanboyism may end up costing you real $$.

I have completely disabled updates and also disabled the M$ Windows Update Service. Just not worth the hassle at this point as I use my PC for work.
Just simply defer the feature updates for 365 days but don't defer security updates. In such way, I am still running more stable 1903 now.

It really is getting tiresome seeing these news stories about Windows 10 updates causing issues. No update is going to be perfect - some people are always going to have some minor issues. Windows has a massive spectrum of hardware to try and support. Most people are getting on just fine.

Simply defer windows feature update for a year in Settings app.

Every time users buy new branded PCs, which all laptops are, they basically buy new windows license because windows license is written into BIOS since windows 8 era and that license can't be legally used I other pc.

If you want stable windows that still gets security updates, use windows 8.1. The built-in start menu is garbage but it is free of functionality bugs

No surprises here that Microsoft would bork another feature with an update. How many is that now since the beginning of the year?

My laptop used to wake up with Win 10 installed, and I did not have this latest update. The best that I could figure was that it was waking up to do updates - even though it was not connected to the internet. Go Figure:confused:
When in sleep mode, it can't detect whether the laptop has internet connection or not

Does "September 2020 optional update" refer to the September 3, 2020—KB4571744 (OS Build 19041.488) Preview or the current September 8, 2020—KB4571756 (OS Build 19041.508)?

And THIS from the same guy that says EVERYONE should be required to get the Wuhan flu shot. (Bill Gates). I wonder how many patches this vaccine will need.
First patch fixes the issue with your private parts falling off. Second one fixes uncontrolled diarrhea, third one keeps your hair from falling out, fourth one takes the green out of your skin and so on. LOL.
You realize that it's been almost fifteen years since Gates was in charge of Microsoft, right?

Not that Windows hasn't always had more than its share of problems, but blaming the malware suite that's Windows 10 on him is pretty far fetched.

This can be fixed by saving all of your work on an external drive and then installing win7 and turning off automatic updates.

Win7 is working great for me. win8 was trash, and win10 seems to generate revenue for the aspirin companies......

Back