Windows 10 will "run on everything", says CEO Satya Nadella

Scorpus

Staff member

For Microsoft, Windows 10 is a very important step in realizing their next-generation vision for their operating systems. We've already heard how the Windows 10 core will be one and the same across Windows Phone, Windows RT and x86-based Windows (all of which will be branded as Windows 10), and the upcoming revamp of the Xbox OS.

Speaking at the Gartner Symposium ITxpo, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella has reinforced the company's strategy for the next-generation of Windows, stating that "it can run on everything". Crucially, this includes Internet of Things (IoT) devices, which is shaping up to be a major platform in years to come.

Nadella believes that Windows 10 will be a fantastic operating system to run on IoT systems, as it's both manageable and secure. "It's the first step in a new generation of Windows as opposed to just another release after Windows 8."

Nadella didn't just talk about Microsoft's strategy for IoT; he hinted that we might see a revised licensing scheme for Windows 10. Microsoft has been looking at simplifying the way Windows is licensed, and will perhaps follow in the footsteps of Office 365, providing several options that focus on the user, not devices. This would allow customers to install Windows on a number of their devices with the one license, depending on the package purchased.

The cloud was also emphasized as part of Nadella's talk. Azure is an important part of Microsoft's services portfolio, and the company is planning to reveal more about the future of it on October 20th. However, despite the strengths of Azure, Nadella believes that the Office API is the most strategic in the company, which intertwines with their cloud services and has led to "billions of identity transactions in Azure Active Directory".

If Microsoft can execute well with all of these products, including Windows 10, 2015 could be the year we finally see their true 'one platform' vision in action.

Permalink to story.

It will run on everything except my computer. I like microsoft , but the whole metro tile interface apps looks too cheezy or cartoonish. After windows 7 , that was it for me. But I still like microsoft.

So Windows 10 will be the same full OS on a Windows phone as a desktop OS? Really? I know it's completely possible but ill believe it when I see it. I expect some cut down version with different GUI and processing architecture that won't run x86 software. The whole Windows RT thing was a total flop as far as I'm concerned, so we'll see. It feels like they are close though.

I'm so excited for Windows 10. As an app developer, the prospect of creating a Windows 10 app and having it run on phones, tablets, desktops, and the Xbox is just unheard of and makes me giddy.

Windows X is less important than ever before. People are using Android and iOS, Chromebook, OS X, and even linux. Embedded linux is everywhere. Who really wants Windows X embedded in your car or refrigerator?

It will run on everything except my computer. I like microsoft , but the whole metro tile interface apps looks too cheezy or cartoonish. After windows 7 , that was it for me. But I still like microsoft.

Seems like a silly reason to completely write off a new OS. Just go out and download ClassicShell I'm sure it will be available for Windows 10 as well.

I'm so excited for Windows 10. As an app developer, the prospect of creating a Windows 10 app and having it run on phones, tablets, desktops, and the Xbox is just unheard of and makes me giddy.
Finally, an informed comment. If Microsoft pulls this off it will be a game changer. I think most people do not understand what that kind of streamlining will mean for the industry. If this works it wont matter how much someone hates the start menu, they will have to use it. It would offer too much in the way of features and usability for them to ignore it over a cosmetic flaw.

So Windows 10 will be the same full OS on a Windows phone as a desktop OS? Really? I know it's completely possible but ill believe it when I see it. I expect some cut down version with different GUI and processing architecture that won't run x86 software. The whole Windows RT thing was a total flop as far as I'm concerned, so we'll see. It feels like they are close though.

It's an exageration to an extent. ARM powered Phones & tablets will essentially be running Windows 10 for ARM, without a desktop. But Windows Phone & Window RT will be the same OS. So you'll have the same exerperience on phones & tablets. Probably a similar, but unique Windows 10 modern UI specifically for these devices.

Awesome, now get rid of all the full screen desktop apps, unless you're using a touch screen. And ditch those ugly start menu tiles. Give us Windows 7 with kernel improvements. Otherwise I'm happy with Windows 7 as is.

I've tried switching to Linux since the release of Windows 8, however I'll put up with the NSA backdoors to keep the familiarity and application compatibility of Windows.

Yes, heaven forbid you'd have to optimize your code for each platform. Let's just limit everything to the lowest common denominator. /facepalm

Seems like a silly reason to completely write off a new OS. Just go out and download ClassicShell I'm sure it will be available for Windows 10 as well.

Wow..an ugly, hostile and crippled UI isn't a reason to skip an OS? What WOULD be, in your world? Acid shooting out of the monitor?

Wow..an ugly, hostile and crippled UI isn't a reason to skip an OS? What WOULD be, in your world? Acid shooting out of the monitor?

What is ugly, hostile, and crippled in the re-designed Windows 10 UI? We don't even know how this looks or feels on mobile yet. I think the UI is refreshingly similar to what I have experienced in the past, with refreshing innovations. I will also scope this comment by stating I did not approve nor enjoy the changes to the UI in Windows 8. I want to make sure you are referring to 10 and not 8/8.1...

I've tried switching to Linux since the release of Windows 8, however I'll put up with the NSA backdoors to keep the familiarity and application compatibility of Windows.

If you think Windows is the only one with NSA backdoors...

Yes, heaven forbid you'd have to optimize your code for each platform. Let's just limit everything to the lowest common denominator. /facepalm

I think the key benefit here is in programming efficiency, I.e. a developer could make a program once, have it run on all platforms and then optimize for each platform, whereas, before, the developer would have to start anew for each platform. At least this way, there'd be apps for certain platforms (even if not optimized) where before there would be none.

The idea of it running across devices is definitely something that could allow it to stand out. This is really taking the definition of "ecosystem" to a whole new level.

What is silly is MS continually changing how people interface with the OS, because they only allow one option. Needing third party downloads such as ClassicShell is ridiculous, when you think about how easy it would have been, for MS to have kept the Win7 start menu as an option in the first place.

"Windows 10 will "run on everything", says CEO Satya Nadella"

Ok, let's see if he can get it running on my Atari 800XL.

What is silly is MS continually changing how people interface with the OS, because they only allow one option. Needing third party downloads such as ClassicShell is ridiculous, when you think about how easy it would have been, for MS to have kept the Win7 start menu as an option in the first place.
OK, lets take another rather popular OS and plug it into your argument. Android, yes I know its a phone OS but that's beside the point, its an OS none the less and its essentially the "Windows" of the mobile space. Lets assume that Google did everything for you by making a common interface with all the bells and whistles. Not only would that take a huge amount of time and resources, but it would put a dent in the third party market it depends on. Do you think this one size fits all UI will appeal to everyone? Or don't you think Androids success is hedged on its capacity to be customised by third party alternatives? Do you think it would have as popular without them? Now lets take Windows. It comes with a functional UI, just as Android comes with a functional basic UI. Both are boring, but very much to the point. Both get the job done, no frills, just works. Now in the same breath, why cant Microsoft also benefit from allowing third party developers to create custom skins for the OS? Or are you content with just allowing Microsoft to do EVERYTHING for you. Don't like the UI? You've got the option of finding an alternative and making it look exactly the way you want. If you are too lazy to go out and find an alternative, well then that's your problem, there are plenty of others out there who will. You are only spiting yourself. No matter how you look at it, the fact that you ignore the absolute treasure trove of improvements simply because you 'kinda' don't like the UI because it doesn't have Aero is like saying I'll never use Android because I don't like the way it looks. Never mind the fact that the OS is FAR more efficient at doing what it does best than ANY previous version.

MS should release it for free(or cheap $30) and get all windows PC on the same page. In reality, it will never break 20% Market percentage and its entire goal will fail day one. Sorry but $150-$200 is too much for an OS. I hate Apple but atleast they are smart and also respect their customers with their OS releases.

MS should release it for free(or cheap $30) and get all windows PC on the same page. In reality, it will never break 20% Market percentage and its entire goal will fail day one. Sorry but $150-$200 is too much for an OS. I hate Apple but atleast they are smart and also respect their customers with their OS releases.
Tell that to the hardware vendors, see how far you get. Or you can try using cheap parts and see how far that gets you. Now, don't you consider the operating system that kinda makes that large investment of hardware work, to be every bit a part of the overall system. A rather important part of that system I might add. Why should you spend thousands on the hardware, but then expect to get the software for free? This attitude is exactly what frustrates me, and is DIRECTLY responsible for the rise in "Free-to-play-but-kinda-isn't-cause-you-have-to-buy-extras-ingame-to-make-it-actually-worthwhile-to-play" crap. Microsoft is being forced in that direction, what with its store front and apps selection because if they don't, then the likes of the "free-to-play" market and ALL the cheapo people out there will drive them to bankruptcy. I agree that they shouldn't abuse the price, but I seriously don't mind paying for something reasonable for something that damn well runs my system. Linux cant replace the mainstream ease of windows, and its a tangled web of open source that isn't supported by any single company. One day when we have Rent-An-OS with monthly fees payable just to use our PC's, aka Ofice365 (not that its a bad product and it makes more sense than having the OS on this model), then we will have the people that your comment describes to thank for it. Just so you know, and haven't guessed yet, I flippen hate the "Free-to-Play" model.

Windows 9 isn't a failure considering it never existed. Microsoft moved from 8 to 10 due to an error that would occur if they attempted to use a Windows that had a 9 in it. Everything in the brackets is code taken from the OS
[

public WindowsAttachProvider() {
String os = System.getProperty("os.name");
if (os.startsWith("Windows 9") || os.equals("Windows Me")) {
throw new RuntimeException(
"This provider is not supported on this version of Windows");

]

TL;DR If they had the OS named windows 9 it would cause a fatal error and crash the system.

Back