Windows 10 Windows.old folder

Jess_123

After the win 10 upgrade, everything has been slow, and I can't figure out why but don't totally care right now. More importantly I only have 35GB left on a 250GB partition for c:

I'm not the absolute most knowledgeable in computers, but I was trying to fix the slow issue and came across that the file folder marked windows.old is something to do with win 8.1? Do I need this massive 35GB folder? Because that would double the space I have left just by not needing it.

I don't understand what the folder itself contains, or if it's important, what its use would be in the future etc. Help appreciated, please.

It's your way back from Windows 10 to the previous OS. Everytime you upgrade Windows that folder is formed. I've never gone back so have never made use of it.

What could possibly be a reason to go back? Like, if I have to do a factory reset, is that where I'm going to need it? Because there's already a recovery partition, I'm not sure?
Are any of my files or programs I downloaded in there that would be affected if I deleted it?

I think you are OK to delete it but I'd wait for confirmation from somebody else first. A 35Gb folder that's not useful needs to go.

Thank you. If it supposedly deletes itself after a month, I'll wait a week and see...if not, I'll go back to that link and likely delete it because I'm not going back to windows 8.1. I mean, I liked it, but I like having the latest OS without having to have bought it too. In the past, I've had laptops with whichever version of windows, and I just use them until they die and buy a new one, which ends up having the latest software at the time of purchase and just carry on learning something new and keep it til I run the laptop into the ground again etc.

I honestly think that the 35GB CAUSES some of the slowness. Junk files tend to do that. I've already gone through and fixed registry problems and cached files etc so whatever the slowness is, it's not related to the usual stuff, nor viruses because I've been down that route too.

If you have created a system image for Win 8.1 before upgrading to Win 10, sure u can delete the windows.old anytime. A bootable disk for the old system is important, just in case something goes wrong.

I've not created anything lol. I just know that the laptop came with a recovery partition, which I assume is still active. There is no actual disk. This laptop doesn't even have a disk drive.
It's also still there, it's been over the 30 days, so I don't know if I should go ahead and start to delete it or not.

I've not created anything lol. I just know that the laptop came with a recovery partition, which I assume is still active. There is no actual disk. This laptop doesn't even have a disk drive.
It's also still there, it's been over the 30 days, so I don't know if I should go ahead and start to delete it or not.

If you have no intentions of going back to win 8.1. You can just go to disk cleanup and delete . The old wins folder.

I don't intend to, but that said, does it remove my system recovery partition? It is windows 8.1, technically. That's what factory default would be. Or would windows 10 have installed a new one for windows 10?

No win 10 does not create a new recovery partition. Your old one should remain in tack. All disk clean up does is clean up the old win file from your last install of win 8.1

Back