Windows 11 July update addresses game stuttering issues

midian182

Staff member
In brief: High polling rate gaming mice can be great for the speed and precision required in competitive FPS games, but not when they're stuttering - a problem that some Windows 11 users have been experiencing. Thankfully, the July 2023 update addresses this problem.

Windows 11's latest feature update (KB5028185) brings the usual slew of changes and fixes, including the option of enabling seconds in the taskbar clock and changing the Print Screen button into a key that opens the Windows 11 Snipping Tool.

One of the update's hidden features addresses a stuttering problem. It stems from the increased demand placed on the Windows stack by high DPI mice and background processes caused by the often numerous number of devices gamers plug into their PCs. This results in the system spending extra time processing input, impacting gameplay and causing stuttering even on powerful hardware.

Windows Latest writes that Microsoft has optimized the processing time for handling input requests. The update improves performance by throttling and coalescing background raw mouse listeners and capping their message rate, which should keep the gameplay smooth even with multiple background processes taking place.

A Windows Developer Blog post from May notes that prior to the changes, a Surface Laptop Studio with a 1,000 Hz mouse, a test bed of background listeners, and popular games showed significant stutter. But following the improvements, the PC showed a smooth, uninterrupted gaming experience while keeping the same low latency, high-precision input.

Elsewhere, a Windows 10 update (KB5028166) is reportedly introducing new problems for users, especially enterprise customers. These include a bug that breaks SMB Secure Channel communication between Synology Directory Server (SAMBA/AD) and Windows 10's latest updates.

There have also been reports of Windows 10 22H2 users being unable to connect to their networks, and claims of games and apps becoming laggy. A few people say the update has generally slowed down their system, too. Some of the problems are also present in the Windows 11 July update, so you might find a few new issues in your PC after the stuttering has been fixed.

Permalink to story.

All thanks to the excessive bloatware, telemetry and incompetent bugs, Microsoft have finally pushed me to a point that I am on a path to decommission all Windows based systems from my home.

All thanks to the excessive bloatware, telemetry and incompetent bugs, Microsoft have finally pushed me to a point that I am on a path to decommission all Windows based systems from my home.
it actually sounds more like its people plugging in every accessory they can thats causing these issues more than windows itself.

Bugs and issues are present in all OSes. MS just get the most hate cause a lot of users use/rely on it. Not everything is on MS, users tend to be clueless on how a computer works.

I don't tend to have even half the issues that articles or users claim. Could just be how I use my computer or lucky I guess but I doubt it. As always, not everyone experiences these issues. Either cause of how the pc is setup or possibly hardware.

Last edited:
And you'll move to what? Linux? Good luck with it.
As for MacOS... I'm using it right now. So many annoying bugs with it too. And settings randomly change from time to time.

Back