Windows 11 preview build addresses storage speed issue

Daniel Sims

Staff
In brief: A recent preview build of Windows 11 addresses a problem with storage speed some users have been reporting for months. Users experiencing suspiciously slow write speeds should consider grabbing the optional update in Windows Update.

The optional KB5007262 build of Windows 11, the very same one that resurrected Clippy, has demystified and fixed a problem which slowed down some users’ OS drives. Since August, reports on Reddit and Microsoft’s answer hub show Windows 11 significantly impacting some SSDs’ random write speeds by as much as 55 percent. The issue persisted for affected users up to and beyond Windows 11’s official launch.

Benchmark comparisons between Windows 10 and Windows 11 show SSDs writing noticeably slower on the newer OS;NVMes more so than SATA SSDs. At least one person reported read access times tripling in Windows 11.

Some comments initially suspected virtualization-based security (VBS) was at least partially responsible, but others debunked this, showing the problem persisted with VBS disabled. Microsoft’s patch notes for KB5007262 reveal NTFS USN journal was the culprit.

USN journal keeps track of changes to a drive, and is always enabled on the OS drive. Microsoft says the issue occurred in Windows 11 when USN took too many unnecessary actions with each write operation. The company also confirmed it affected hard drives, too, but only OS drives.

Permalink to story.

When is MS going to replace NTFS? It is a positively ancient filesystem, dating back to windows 2000. It was never as stable as ext3 or 4, and with increasing complexity it's time for NTFS 2, hopefully with more reliability this time around.

When is MS going to replace NTFS? It is a positively ancient filesystem, dating back to windows 2000. It was never as stable as ext3 or 4, and with increasing complexity it's time for NTFS 2, hopefully with more reliability this time around.

The last time they talked about a filesystem upgrade it was going to be a proprietary Microsoft database - essentially a virtual dynamic drive. Literally nobody wanted it so the plan was abandoned.

MS goes by what they want not what people want. As does Google, Apple and any other corporation. It's about what's best for them not you.
If people don't like that then good luck. As all are that way. Some may do it better than others but they still are doing it for them not you.

All OSes will have various issues. Just comes part of business. Most get fixed, not all do. Some we may never even know about or ever talked about.

MS does have a newer filesystem than NTFS called ReFS (Resilient File System). It's been around since Windows Server 2012 and is aimed more at servers than workstations. Personally, I would like to see them release a modern filesystem where they take the best parts of ReFS, such as integrity-streams, and proactive error correction, then add it to an updated version of NTFS.

NTFS is even more ancient than W2K. Time to dispose of that 1995 baggage (only version 1.0 from 1993 is incompatible with any Winblows today).

No matter the revisions its hopeless when dealing with NAND, NVMe and X-Point. WinFS died very quickly after idea was announced. ReFS is miles better, it has potential, but M$ for whatever reason only allows it in servers and from my understanding never on bootable partition. I have no idea why.

If ReFS is to be used it should be as a completely new FS, not iteration of NTFS.

As for optional update. I've made double, triple sure neither of my machines can ever install W11.

Back