windows 2000 setup problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

skarmory2002

ok so heres the problem. I am trying to install windows 2000 on my friends computer and it just doesn't work. It formats the drive, copys its neccessary ffiles and then restarts. After it restarts, it says its looking for keyboard and mouse drivers, this process may take a few minutes. So i wait. When it gets to about half way through , the screen flickers and then turns into a blank screen with a bunch of backwards commas on it. It doesnt resume the install, and quite frankly im getting frustrated. Any thoughts?

is it useing usb keyboard mouse
need to load usb drivers first
if not try a dif set
check the cables and what not unplug replug(you probably did that already)

Try to use a ps2 key board and mouse first and see.
If it works, later can swap any thing you like ( USB if any )

It is not clear to me that " after format the hard drive and copy necessary files and restart " ?

After format the hard drive, use the w2k CD to boot up from CD..then go from there.

Disable unnecessary devices.

Try to install windows 2000 first with any peripherals disabled except keyboard mouse and hard drive. Swap video card for an antique one (s3 virge etc). Disable or swap out the sound card. When you have onboard devices, go in bios and disable the "non-critical" onse (like sound, printer port, serial ports etc)

In most cases this helps with setup troubles.

Good Luck.

Xero

Samstoned said:
is it useing usb keyboard mouse
need to load usb drivers first
if not try a dif set
check the cables and what not unplug replug(you probably did that already)
sorry wasn't to clear on the diff set thing
a diff keyboard mouse if you are useing standard ps2 setup
windows install will ask for special drivers I think F6
not sure if that will help if it does not see the usb keyboard???

well ive tried many different sets of keyboards and mice, but still the same thing happens. they all have the ps2 interface. I removed the sound card and modem, and still nothing. Ive run several diagnostics on all parts of the computer, and they all check out so i dont know the problem

Any other peripherals to disable?

like network card. Xp/2000 setup fails on some network cards. After screen/display adapter setup (you say something about flickering screen), network is being detected. Try disabling network adapter in the bios when you have an onboard one, else, remove the network add-in card. Resume setup afterwards and check if it helps.

Allright, 1 step back then, it goes wrong during video detection.

black screen with comma's, it could be the vidcard's memory.

How many comma's, always the same number of comma's?

Please show me the comma you are speaking about, i dont know any backward comma's. Goto start->run->charmap.exe<enter> copy it and paste it plz.

Which os was running on it before the windows 2000 install and was it running fine?

ok xero it was running win98 before and she wanted an upgrade to xp. I told her tha her computer could not handle it and so i would put on windows 2K. It is always the same number of commas, but i dont know how many there are. It fills up the screen, and there is i would say two spaces between each comma. F.Y.I. i can install windows 98 and windows ME on it but not anything better than those. I'm not even sure if ME will go on. I won't try it because ME is junk( in my opinion) The closest thing I could find was this: , only the other way around.

You're right about millenium. It just suxs.

Ok, which windows 2000 are you installing? Pro/Server/Adv server/data center

Some last things you could try;
1) disable onboard video and put in an alternate card
2) try to upgrade bios
3) make sure you have a good copy of windows 2000
4) integrate sp4 into the I386 installation directory (or download it somewhere) before setup and try to install it with an sp4 integrated version.

more info about integrating SP4:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Installing Windows 2000 integrated with the service pack
This scenario explains how to create an integrated installation of Windows 2000 and the service pack in a shared distribution folder on a network. The integrated process installs the service pack during Windows 2000 Setup. To complete this procedure, you must use a computer that is running Windows 2000.

To use the Setup Manager Wizard (Setupmgr.exe) to install Windows 2000 integrated with SP4, you must first have an integrated Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4 CD, or you must create a shared distribution folder on the network, as explained in the following procedure.

Important

Do not create an installation of Windows 2000 integrated with a service pack in a shared distribution folder if users are still using a previously installed integrated version in the same shared folder.

Note

In the following procedure, Drive represents the drive letter of the network or computer where your distribution folder is located.

To create an integrated installation of Windows 2000 and the service pack

Connect to the network or computer on which you want to create the distribution folder.
In the shared folder on the network, create a distribution folder for the Windows 2000 installation files.
For example, to create a distribution folder named W2000\i386, type the following:

mkdir Drive:\W2000\i386

Ensure that only the system administrator has full access to this folder. Other users should have only Read and Execute permissions.

Insert your Windows 2000 product CD into the CD-ROM drive, and then copy the contents of the CD to the distribution folder that you created in step 2.
For example, to copy the installation files and folders from the Windows 2000 product CD in the CD-ROM drive (D:) to the distribution folder named W2000\i386, you would type the following:

xcopy /E D:\i386 Drive:\W2000\i386

Remove the Windows 2000 product CD from the CD-ROM drive, and then insert the service pack CD.
To apply the service pack source files to the Windows 2000 Installation files located in the folder named W2000\i386, type the following:
w2ksp4.exe /S:Drive:\W2000

For a list of command-line options, see Command-Line Options for W2ksp4.exe and Update.exe earlier in this guide.

Customize Windows 2000 Setup as necessary.
For more information about how to do this, you can view Help by entering the following the command from the deployment folder:

\i386\winnt32.exe /?

For more detailed information, see the Winnt32.exe command syntax topic in the Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Resource Kit.

You can now deploy Windows 2000 to your users’ computers from the shared distribution folder in either attended or unattended Setup mode. Alternatively, you can write the files from the distribution folder to a CD. During the standard installation process, Windows 2000 Setup (Winnt.exe or Winnt32.exe) installs the updated operating system with the service pack already applied.

:

i am trying to install win 2000 pro. The computer doews not have any onboard video, and I am using an ATI Rage Pro or something like that. I know the cd is good because i used it to install win 2k on my sisters computer. I am currently trying to use an integrated service pack install but for some reason the computer will not bott from the iso that is created. Maybe you could tell me how to burn the iso to make the cd bootable?

Burn the integrated i386 directory to cdrom
Get an windows 98 bootfloppy
Make sure it has sys.com, fdisk.exe, himem.sys, oakcdrom.sys, mscdex.exe and smartdrv.exe on it
start from the boot floppy, on boot press f8.
select command prompt only
it will start detecting your cdrom and mount it etc etc
Put in the cd
go to your cdrom drive by typing driveletter: (i.e. D:<enter>)
type cd i386<enter>
type smartdrv.exe<enter> (this will speed up file copies)
type winnt<enter>
it will start copying files and setup is being started.

Good luck

xero.

It must be hardware problem.
Can you try to re-install win98 again?
If not Okay then you can tell the problem is not w2k related.
If it is fine then load win2k on top of it and see...

i have win98 installed on it now, but I was just wondering if it may be my Win2k cd. I tryed to do a dual boot with windows xp already installed on my good computer. However, it messed up as well. I was wondering if maybe it just messed up the cd contents, and now i cannot use that cd at all. Let me know.

Windows 2k is microsofts most stable os currently available for the x86 platform. It should work on nearly all computers.

I know i shouldnt say this, but... get a new copy, download it, you know how :). Just to be sure.

I got something like this error once, I removed the graphics card and switched to the on board one, bingo, but like you said,you dont have an on board one :(

if you have original disc try that
sounds like the disc you made failed
I have done this all it takes on cheap cd disc is 1 little scratch or mark
and thats without slipstream any service packes
use nero to make iso image of the orininal disc use the same name with the .iso ext. on it
it will boot with no issues
disc name is important

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back