TechSpot

Windows 2000 upgrade to XP Pro SP2?

By EzTechGuy
Jan 30, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello everyone.

I have Windows 2000 on my pc, can I just upgrade from it to XP Home SP2 or XP Pro SP2?

Without formatting and then fresh install.

I do not want to format then install XP Home SP2 or XP Pro w/ SP2 I want to know if I can just leave Windows 2000 on my Dell 2300 and then just upgrade. If I format and then fresh install, I would loose alot I want to keep see. Sure, somethings I can backup but want to know if I can just upgrade see.

I appreciate anyone that can tell me please. :confused:

Thank you so much.

2. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,896

upgrading to XP Pro shouldnt be a problem. upgrading an exisitng install is possible but not the best option since there are often glitches after doing so. I would suggest that if you do so. after you decide you want to keep XP then do a backup and a reformat and clean install of XP.

3. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

As iss said.

The procedure couldn't be any easier: while in Windows 2000, insert the Windows XP CD. If you have set your CDs to auto-run then a window will pop up kindly asking whether you want to upgrade your Windows installation. Follow the instructions on screen.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.