Windows 7 bug stopping users from shutting down their PCs

midian182

Staff member
In context: Microsoft officially ended Windows 7’s extended support for non-paying customers on January 14, but the company had to push out another free update a week later—and it might be forced to do it again. Many users of the venerable OS have complained that they’re unable to shut down or restart their computers due to an unknown bug.

In late January, it was discovered that one of Microsoft’s final free updates was causing wallpaper problems for some users, showing an image as black when set to stretch. The company was forced to issue a free fix, but a more serious problem has appeared.

Over the last couple of days, users on Reddit, Twitter, and Microsoft’s forums have all reported their Windows 7 machines suddenly won’t shut down or reboot; instead, the PCs show a message that reads: "you don't have permission to shut down this computer."

Bleeping Computer has listed some workarounds for the problem, including hitting CTL+ALT+DEL and clicking the red icon in the lower right-hand corner of the screen, creating new admin accounts, and running the Group Policy Editor from the command line to force permissions.

While it’s unclear what has caused the issue, some say the recent Adobe update is to blame, and that disabling "Adobe Genuine Monitor Service," "Adobe Genuine Software Integrity Service," and "Adobe Update" services will fix the problem.

In a statement to Bleeping Computer, Microsoft said: “We are aware of some Windows 7 customers reporting that they are unable to shut down without first logging off and are actively investigating”

Assuming this is a bug within Windows, Microsoft will likely push out another free update to address the problem.

It’s been almost a month since Windows 7 support ended, and companies are having to pay the high prices for extended security updates. The German government is one customer—it has to hand over around $886,000 after failing to upgrade to Windows 10 in time.

Permalink to story.

"The German government is one customer—it has to hand over around $886,000 after failing to upgrade to Windows 10 in time."

In time for what?

I disabled Win/7 updates over a year ago and consequently M$ can't ruin my laptop with this foolishness :grin

I don't know. To me this sounds like an Adobe problem, considering that it's happening to those who updated their Adobe "Adobe Genuine Monitor Service" and disabling it fixes the problem.

I don't know. To me this sounds like an Adobe problem, considering that it's happening to those who updated their Adobe "Adobe Genuine Monitor Service" and disabling it fixes the problem.
I'll grant you that when two people are holding hands, it's hard to tell which one's hand is doing the sweating.

I don't subscribe to Adobe in any form, and I disabled Windows update long before any of M$' bullsh!t of force feeding their demand that you upgrade to Windows 10 came to pass. As for updating a recent Win 7 install, I pick and choose individual updates PRIOR to the date of 10's release. Guess what, I don't have any of these problems.

I leave this machine booted up for weeks, even months, at a time. I have "wake by mouse", and "wake by keyboard", disabled, so I don't have to be paranoid if the cats accidentally fire it up overnight.

M$ has gotten petty to the point whereby they've disabled their CD information service on Windows 7. Well, if I find music I like, I hit up Amazon for the CD, and type the information in myself before I rip it. (call me "old fashioned, and yes, I rent movies from Redbox too).

I don't really put anything past those turds in Redmond, particularly the head turd, Satya Nadella..

Adobe's program invade at the kernel level, as they take away all color control from Windows. M$ knows that. But considering the millions of people running Adobe programs on Windows, you'd think there would be better communication.,with Adobe.

Considering Adobe's apparent success with "pay by the month", I firmly believe M$ is simply dying to turn Windows into a subscription service. To pave the way for that, they have to get rid of as many Windows 7, 8, & 8.1 machines as they possibly can, before it can happen.

and then suddenly finds out... Laptop's have batteries.
Depending on the emotional state of the parents and amount of tension between them and the laptop user, they might either, pull the RJ-45 cable, or shut down the router, or take out the batteries, or just throw the stinking thing into a bathtub full of soapy water. (As a last resort, obviously) Since they'd only have to buy the youngster another laptop. But then again, it would be Windows 10. Hey, you don't think M$ would give a crap about the family turmoil they've caused, do you?

I disabled Win/7 updates over a year ago and consequently M$ can't ruin my laptop with this foolishness :grin
In all seriousness, I'm starting to think the best way of consistently backing up a current Windows 7 OS, is buying a spare Samsung SSD for each Win 7 machine I own. Hopefully, Samsung's migration software will migrate from same brand to same brand.

I'll image each drive as soon as I buy them, and again after any additional software install. I think that's a better solution than relying on setting a restore point, and certainly far better than a fresh install from DVD.

I personally like the win 10 bug, the one where you can't even boot, because the update trashes itself, and it can't read the boot into finalizing the update, throwing you into a blue startup screen you can't bypass..wonderfully exectuted ****.

You like these new bugs we introduced lately? Install Windows 10 to get even more of them regularly!

Awe! Bitter sweet. Fitting for Microsoft to end Windows 7 by breaking it.

"Sorry for the inconvenience. If you upgrade now, you'll be able to shutdown your computer. Thank you for being a valued customer."

Best regards,
Microsoft

Back