Windows 7 DVD won't boot

By cookiedude
Feb 10, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi All

I've just purchased an OEM copy of win7 pro 64bit and a new WD 500gb HDD for my laptop and I can't for the life of me get the laptop to boot from the windows DVD! All i get is a message saying no operating system found. I've set the DVD drive as 1st in boot priority but nothing. I was expecting a message saying "press any key to boot from CD/DVD" but it never comes up, any ideas?

I've tried launching the win7 DVD from within Windows XP and it opens fine (gives options for viewing compatibility list and installing). However, i want to install on the new 500gb drive not the current one with XP on it??

Is my only option to get a copy of Win7 OPK to install this properly?

FYI

Laptop spec (Samsung X65):

Core2Duo 7300
    4gig RAM
    WD 500gb HDD (currently 160gb)
    GeForce 8600GS

Copy purchased http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/..._ya_oh_product

Currently running XP pro 64bit with no problems at all (other than the odd random driver missing!). I understand Microsoft have changed their licensing for OEM software (particularly W7) but I've also know people have tried this and it worked without any problems!?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
  2. dustin_ds3000

dustin_ds3000 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,128

try taking the HDD out of the boot priority so it will force DVD boot
  3. cookiedude

cookiedude TechSpot Booster Topic Starter Posts: 227

Thanks, will give that a try and report back.
  4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,424   +281

Make a bootable USB stick from it? http://store.microsoft.com/Help/ISO-Tool

The instructions talk about needing an ISO file of Win 7, but if you have the physical disk it may still work, I don't know because I haven't tried it.
  5. cookiedude

Thanks, but that tool is simply for copying an ISO of Win 7 to a bootable medium and then installing it from within windows. For that to work for me I'd have to create an image of my win 7 disc and re-burn it to a blank DVD.
  6. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,424   +281

Or use a virtual disk. It might have to be the specific ISO from Microsoft rather than a home built one... but I'm just saying you can make an iso and mount it without actually wasting a disk.
  7. cookiedude

But then I'd have to buy a downloadable version of Win 7 from Microsoft wouldn't I? Or would I be able to create an ISO image of the OEM disc I have? I'd still need to run this from within windows wouldn't I?
  8. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,684   +153

You can use a free program like Shrink DVD 3.2 to make an .iso copy of the Windows 7 DVD. Then look at this:
    Mount Image
  9. cookiedude

Didn't think DVD shrink would work for a software disc (copyright protection being different to that of a film disc) but will give it a go, thanks.
  10. cookiedude

Thanks for all the advice guys, ended up just installing a copy of Vista and then running the Win 7 disc from within windows and doing a clean install. Took a couple of hours but I was watching the footy & rugby anyway :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.