Windows 7 freezing up

david hurd

Hi
I am running windows 7 and it freezes up all the time. I was in the malware forum and we got t cleaned up.
so now what can I do?

You had a long running malware problem and a reinstall of Windows is a good move but it isn't quick or easy. I suggest that first you try running a couple of free utility programs like CCleaner and Glarysoft Utilities. It won't take long and maybe it will save you an awful lot of work. Don't be tempted into paying for any such software.

Also, it's worth considering changing your security software. Try Microsoft Security Essentials (free) to rule out conflict between the OS and AV protection. It's nowhere near the best but it is unlikely to cause any conflict with Windows 7.

Test the sanity of the OS using SAFE MODE boot
if that works, then it might be reasonable to continue

also get a Win/7 CD (any) and run SFC /SCANNOW
to test the files

Re-install Windows fresh...
agree with tmagic.

if you have already backed up your important files/folders to usb flash drive, external hdd, or cd/dvd, wipe out hdd contents by using either of these free format tools:
1. minitool partition bootable cd edition.
or
2. Seagate discwizard bootable cd for Seagate/Maxtor hdd.

after hdd is reformatted, install 'fresh' windows 7.

Without any feedback on what David has done and with what result it's not really helpful to make any more suggestions. Hopefully a reinstall won't be necessary but if it is plenty of time needs to be set aside.

These are all GOOD suggestions and give the OP alternatives to consider. Frequently there is more than just ONE solution and the value of TS is different viewpoints of the community. Don't centure ideas from others.

" I was in the malware forum and we got t cleaned up"... After a serious malware attack and the computer still doesn't function well, a OS fresh install may be the only option left

A fresh install is great but it's no picnic for someone with little experience and we don't know anything about the posters experience level? "Just reinstall the OS" is something I read on forums so often. Reinstalling Windows is a hobby for some but not a great experience for ordinary users. It also makes all the work of the Malware section pretty pointless if we throw in the towel immediately on this one.

I'll leave this one to the gang.

agree with tmagic.

if you have already backed up your important files/folders to usb flash drive, external hdd, or cd/dvd, wipe out hdd contents by using either of these free format tools:
1. minitool partition bootable cd edition.
or
2. Seagate discwizard bootable cd for Seagate/Maxtor hdd.

after hdd is reformatted, install 'fresh' windows 7.
everything is backed up with carbonit

Please post the sensor readings on the following:
temperature of cpu, gpu (hdd, and RAM)
+12v, +5v reading of your psu

you can use the motherboard's own utility (intel desktop utilities if using intel mobo) or hwinfo
(attached is a sample sensor reading using the free hwinfo utility)

Attachments

• sample sensor reading.png
    sample sensor reading.png
    179.2 KB · Views: 4
Remember that the problems all began with malware. If you haven't already done so, revise your security software.

Back