Windows 7 overtakes Vista among enthusiasts, plus other interesting trends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member

Just last week we were discussing Net Apps' data about OS usage and browser preferences, where Windows 7 was hitting a 10% worldwide market share by the end of January. That's an estimate for the general population, but how about PC enthusiasts and gamers?

For that, we rather look at Steam's hardware survey. According to their January figures, Windows 7 64-bit surpassed Vista 32-bit as the second most popular OS among users running the Steam client with a 19.50% share. Windows XP 32-bit remains on top by far with 42% use, while the 32-bit version of Windows 7 is fourth with 9%, a clear indication that the move to 64-bit will take place in this OS generation.

It's also interesting to observe CPU adoption trends, where 2-core processors are the most ubiquitous consisting of 56% of all computers connected to Steam. Quad-core CPU usage keeps growing and currently stands at 24% versus 19% back in September, while single core models have dropped in about the same proportion from September's 23% to last month's 18%. Intel processors are used in 69% of machines versus 30.9% for AMD. The green camp also loses in the GPU department where Nvidia dominates with 65% of all installed graphics cards. The well regarded GeForce 8800 remains as the most popular GPU despite its age (we reviewed it back in 2006). More details on these and other interesting stats are available here.

Permalink to story.

Interesting data points - it all makes sense to me. I would have been interested to see if there has been any shift in the video card %s due to Nvidia's delay with their next gen cards.

No problem with Windows 7, its solid, fast and good to use. Lots of problems with the fact that the so called 'compatability' for older software is a pile of cack. I have had to replace my printer, which Epson had no software patches for, and my main use programmes. I bought a Packard Bell from P C World and landed up doing a complete recovery/reinstall to get anything to run properly, incuding my BT Internet, which is non-compat. Be VERY CAREFUL that you are prepared for this sort of hassle before you opt for 7 ! There are an awful lot of programs out there which will simply refuse to accept 64 bit - had I known etc etc, I would have waited until next year when some of this might have been sorted out, together with Microsofts works 2010, which I am playing with on Beta, and looks quite good. Regards, Taunton-Hobbit (UK). (Hi Mike!)

UHHH BT internet! u don't wanna install that **** on yer PC! Having used the Win 7 64bit RC for a bit, I saw no reason to upgrade from Vista ultimate 32 bit yet. I plan to by end of year tho. When I used 7 64bit, pretty much all games worked, and hardware, excecpt my Webcam and game Fallout 3.

When you choose to adopt a new OS, inadvertently at the back of your mind you know there will be issues which may need to be addressed before everything runs smoothly again; so complaining about such situations I am sorry is bit irrelevant for me.

Now having said that, I am probably one of few people who think that Microsoft needs to 'ditch' all that old compatibility stuff it is carrying with each new OS; I know realistically they can't get rid of it in one big lump; but with each new release they should reduce that backwardness and try to focus on improvement in the areas of reducing OS footprint, stability and security. I think sometimes 'less is more'.

Now having said that, I have tested 7 on various old, very old and some not so old systems, and I have no issues at all; OS has been rock solid stable; generally has been compatible with almost every hardware I've thrown at it (even got that bad old 4L/6P working with it!). The only hardware for me which didn't worked with windows (read vista) in recent years was my creative sound blaster whatever it was. But that is that, and I am never going to spend $$$ on a sound card just for the sake of 5-10% better sound than the onboard solutions.

Guest said:
No problem with Windows 7, its solid, fast and good to use. Lots of problems with the fact that the so called 'compatability' for older software is a pile of cack. I have had to replace my printer, which Epson had no software patches for, and my main use programmes. I bought a Packard Bell from P C World and landed up doing a complete recovery/reinstall to get anything to run properly, incuding my BT Internet, which is non-compat. Be VERY CAREFUL that you are prepared for this sort of hassle before you opt for 7 ! There are an awful lot of programs out there which will simply refuse to accept 64 bit - had I known etc etc, I would have waited until next year when some of this might have been sorted out, together with Microsofts works 2010, which I am playing with on Beta, and looks quite good. Regards, Taunton-Hobbit (UK). (Hi Mike!)

I had to replace my scanner from Canon. But its really not an Windows 7 issue.
The scanner works in windows 7 with vista drivers, BUT it does not support 64-bit
It does not support any 64-bit platform, not xp not vista, and now not windows 7.

Its an issue that should be blamed on the manufactures not keeping up with the times.

Completely agree with JudZ, Creative sound cards being another one to blame, they never seem to have the "latest" driver for anything! Microsoft isn't to blame with some of the imcompatibilty issues. its the manufactures for the products them selves.

Completely agree with JudZ, Creative sound cards being another one to blame, they never seem to have the "latest" driver for anything! Microsoft isn't to blame with some of the incompatibilty issues. its the manufactures for the products them selves.
Well, if I were a hardware manufacturer, I'd spend most of my R & D money developing new hardware and its attendant software first, rather than using up resources writing software for product that's already been sold. Just an ugly fact of business, especially when it's being run by sociopaths. Um......, sociopaths that like to have their bills paid. I suppose you can't fault them for that.

Well, if I were a hardware manufacturer, I'd spend most of my R & D money developing new hardware and its attendant software first, rather than using up resources writing software for product that's already been sold. Just an ugly fact of business, especially when it's being run by sociopaths. Um......, sociopaths that like to have their bills paid. I suppose you can't fault them for that.

Well they don't want to give users the right drivers they need for 'their' hardware; they better either need form and agree to a generic standard; so the windows can take of it. However, this will utterly make them useless because why would you want to buy a card year down the road which will be just like an older one .....

Also, they need to look at system builders, graphic card manufacturer's etc. they constantly continue to develop their drivers for a reasonable period of time; hell intel recently updated drivers/utils of my board which is well something like 4 years old i think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back