Windows 7 SP1 now being distributed via automatic update

By Shawn Knight
Mar 19, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft is rolling out Windows 7 Service Pack 1 as an automatic update starting this week to anyone that hasn’t yet installed the patch. The process is expected to take a couple of weeks at which time most legacy users...

Read more
  2. Isn't this already being done?
    avoidz likes this.
  3. HiDDeNMisT

HiDDeNMisT TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 191   +10

I thought this was being done already?
    avoidz likes this.
  4. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,907   +115 Staff Member

It's also worth mentioning that there was a "hotfix rollup package" released for Win7 SP1 quietly last patch Tuesday.
    It consists of ca 90 hotfixes released after SP1, primarily aimed at enterprise customers...
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2775511
  5. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,120   +732

Interesting. Thanks for sharing :D.
  6. TheBigFatClown

TheBigFatClown TechSpot Booster Posts: 336   +114

I went to the Microsoft download site to get this rollup hotfix. 31 megabytes for 90 hotfixes? What am I missing here. And there were only 6 listed fixes in each file.
  7. JC713

The fixes are small in size.
  8. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,492   +73

There was SP1 a long time ago released.
  9. supertech

supertech TechSpot Member Posts: 72   +7

SP1 has been available for a long time but I do not believe it was automated. You would actually have to go and manually select the install it else it would just sit there and bypass it.
  10. JC713

Yeah, it was a manual download.
  11. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,082   +1,184

I'm still awaiting SP2, which I've heard is not coming. I can't believe Microsoft would be so brave, as to not release SP2 for Windows 7.
  12. JC713

They are gonna release Windows Blue soon, so it will kinda kill the point. But support till 2020 seems nice enough so I am not complaining.
  13. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,082   +1,184

8 years of updates without any of them bundled into a service pack, is not very convenient for many people. Microsoft has creating additional server traffic, by not releasing SP2.

14. TheBigFatClown

TheBigFatClown TechSpot Booster Posts: 336   +114

Okay, but how does 6 fixes equate to 90 fixes? Must be if I install all 4 downloads for 4 different products? I still don't get. Just release Windows 7 SP2 already Microsoft. No one wants your Windows 8 catastrophe and purposely not releasing Windows 7 SP2 is not going to get you more sales. Sorry. I just ain't interested in upgrading.
  15. veLa

veLa TechSpot Booster Posts: 437   +70

I sure would've liked a SP2 for Windows 7. Maybe they could've integrated some of the decent parts from 8
  16. avoidz

avoidz TechSpot Maniac Posts: 452   +53

Windows 7 deserves at least a SP2. With a 2020 support date cut-off, Microsoft will find themselves in an XP situation again unless Windows 9 or X is something very special.
  17. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,907   +115 Staff Member

Well if you followed my original link and click on "Hotfixes that are included in this update rollup" there are 90 specific hotfixes listed...
    But take care, in many other cases once you drill down to the specific fixes they can often fix multiple issues, case in Point this months security fix for Internet Explorer named KB2809289 actually had 9 fixes, scroll down to the section "Multiple Use After Free Vulnerabilities in Internet Explorer"
  18. JC713

Service packs dont bring new features really, that is the job of a new OS. The task manager and new ribbon UI in Windows Explorer is the only features I would want.
  19. veLa

veLa TechSpot Booster Posts: 437   +70

Think about how different XP and XP SP1 were from XP SP2/SP3.
  20. JC713

I never really used XP enough to notice. what was changed.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.