Windows 7 Update Error, Error Code 8024DFFE

Doug8765

Hi -
I'm not getting Windows Update to run. HP p6240f, Windows 7, 64-bit OS
When I go to shutdown, the shutdown button has an orange shield that indicates it wants to update.
If I go to Windows Update and and say "Check for Updates", it tells me to Install new Windows Update software. I press Install Now and get "windows could not search for new updates. Error found Code 8024DFFE Windows Update encountered an unknown error". When I press "Get Help with this error", I select Windows Update Troubleshooter, which opens a Diagnostics Troubleshooting Wizard, which opens "Window Update, find and fix problems with Windows Update", which runs a repeating cycle of Detecting problems, collecting files, checking registry, Resolving problems .... over and over until it finishes eventually saying that it was not able to fix all the problems. In particular is a new "Windows Update error 0x80070490(2014-08-29-T-09_02_42P)". I attach the picture. I've done this a bunch of times, including rebooting to see if that matters.

This happened a week ago and the same thing happened as in the preceding paragraph, except that afterward - even though it gave all the same error codes - the Windows Update successfully ran.

I found a suggestion on a MS Windows site to run (in an administrator's Dos window) sfc /SCANNOW, which takes a long time to run and I did so and it found nothing and still the problem exists.

I found a note from a Google search that said to do something with my firewall, but I couldn't understand it. I use Avast Antivirus and Comodo Firewall.

I'll monitor this post and will do my best to stay on top of proposed solutions. I always appreciate the help I get here.

Many thanks in advance.
Doug8765

Attachments

• Windows Update errors 29Aug2014.png
    Windows Update errors 29Aug2014.png
    510.4 KB · Views: 7
Hi. Firstly, thanks for the info. I had encountered the same problem with windows update error 8024DFFE on my Acer 4830, Win7 64bit 2 days ago and was trying to find a solution online without any success. But then I came across ur post and realized that I have a similar configuration as you. I also uses comodo firewall and avast antivirus. This led me to think that either one of them is the problem. I disable the firewall and can now check for updates. How that helps.

Hi Sumislame -
Thank you. That's not as clean a solution as I'd like, but it also works for me. I disabled the Comodo firewall and Windows Update worked. Updates are not that common, so I guess I will only do them infrequently.

Here's the discussion from a Google search that I found that referred to the firewall cause. Glad it made sense to you.

Doug

Hi -
In my last post I linked to a solution from a Google search. In it the solution is:
At that point, you may have to place your HIPS on Training Mode (or simply add C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\SelfUpdate\Handler\WuSetupV.exe to the exception list.)
When the author refers to an exception list, where's that at? Will it get deleted every time I run cleanup on my computer?

Doug

If AV or a firewall is giving problems I prefer to switch to something else rather than struggle for solutions. There's plenty of excellent freeware to choose from. Just sift through and find what suits you and your system.

If AV or a firewall is giving problems I prefer to switch to something else rather than struggle for solutions. There's plenty of excellent freeware to choose from. Just sift through and find what suits you and your system.
Strongly agree!!! Win/7 needs no 3rd party FW - - it does very well on its own.
Back with XP/*, the firewall was just not effective and I too use Comodo back then. But now with Win/7, we can just go "native".

Had the same problem om Win 7 Home Premium, just disabling Comodo firewall didn't work so I disabled Comodo antivirus, firewall, defense and sandbox. Update working fine now. just a whole lot of them to load....

That was cute
[here because of the search]
win update wil ruin my desktop
twice returning from 10
cos of THE ATI drriver - no solution
blurry menus, blurry indesign, enough
/cry

Back