Windows 8 previewed, new touch-oriented UI shown off

Julio Franco

Staff member

The first thing you should learn about Windows 8 is that Microsoft wants its next generation operating system to be a one-stop destination for devices spanning 8-inch tablet screens all the way up to high resolution 30" desktop monitors. The software giant showed the OS for the first time at the D9 conference yesterday.

Taking a strong cue from the Metro UI used in Windows Phone 7, an all-new start screen gets rid of icons in favor of big tiles that can be customized to show live information or launch applications. The interface is optimized for touch-based input and in that sense it seems to be better suited to a large screen than it ever was to a smartphone's display.

The new interface looks gorgeous as long as you stay within boundaries of applications specifically written for it. The demonstration included video playback, photo browsing and sharing, some multi-tasking and task switching concepts, a custom Twitter application that took full advantage of the new user interface, and a sneak peak at Internet Explorer 10.

Launching "legacy" apps like Microsoft Word defaults you back to a standard Windows 7-style interface, which may be underwhelming to an extent, but backwards compatibility means all devices can run Windows applications no matter the form factor. Moving forward Microsoft expects developers to take advantage of its developer tools to create mobile-style applications using HTML5 and JavaScript.

Windows 8's release date and final product name for that matter are still unknown, but sometime in 2012 appears to be the goal. While Apple has built its iOS empire from the ground up, inheriting to the iPad all that was learned by developing for handheld devices (Google is following that same approach with Android), Microsoft is doing the opposite, putting the heftier desktop OS front and center and pushing it into mobile devices. The advantages to this could be rewarding and is Microsoft's way to leverage its dominance on the desktop, but performance and battery life implications remain an utmost concern.

If anything, we've been surprised by Microsoft's showing and certainly look forward to hear more Windows 8 details in the weeks and months to come.

Permalink to story.

Looks pretty decent, at-least its an interchangeable UI, seems to restrictive for geeky needs in tile mode, but for tablets its a must. I just wonder how many exploits there might be with the new UI. Its not like Microsoft designs an OS with security in mind.

@R3
Its not that any OS maker can think about 'every possible exploit'. So blaming just one company isn't realistically logical. Every OS have holes, and will continue to have them, only thing is it may take time to find / exploit them.

Also I still think someone need to develop a touch keyboard (or something similar) because for a touch friendly OS the traditional KB / Mouse combination sound bit outdated.

burty117 said:
Awesome! although, i'm still happy with Windows 7 for now :)

I'm gunna bet that this will be the majority thought when it's released. It's certainly what i'm thinking at the moment.

An interface for 3rd graders. I truly and deeply hate Apple, but this interface is a joke. When I first saw the Windows phone interface I was appalled and it locked-in Android for me. With this clunky childish interface now infecting Win 8 - I will stick with Win 7 until I die. Or until MS comes to their senses. Ok, die. CAN YOU SAY "BOB"?

Microsoft are just trying to consolidate their OS across more platforms, this interface is intended for use on tablets, netbooks and the like. They're not doing away with the traditional Start menu interface.

Guest said:
An interface for 3rd graders. I truly and deeply hate Apple, but this interface is a joke. When I first saw the Windows phone interface I was appalled and it locked-in Android for me. With this clunky childish interface now infecting Win 8 - I will stick with Win 7 until I die. Or until MS comes to their senses. Ok, die. CAN YOU SAY "BOB"?
Unfortunately, your reasoning is in the 3rd grade as well. What you're not realizing is that your precious Windows 7 functionality is still there in Windows 8. What you really get with Windows 8 is the ability to run it on any form factor and have your choice of UI flavor. If you want to stick with the traditional Windows "windows", Windows 8 isn't stopping you; only you are.

wagan8r said:
Guest said:
Unfortunately, your reasoning is in the 3rd grade as well. What you're not realizing is that your precious Windows 7 functionality is still there in Windows 8. What you really get with Windows 8 is the ability to run it on any form factor and have your choice of UI flavor. If you want to stick with the traditional Windows "windows", Windows 8 isn't stopping you; only you are.

Ahh, just when I was starting to think the usual "Guests" had any intellect...

Why would I want the UI of a phone or tablet on my desktop? EPIC FAIL

"Why would I want the UI of a phone or tablet on my desktop? EPIC FAIL "

Plus no backward compatibility = double EPIC FAIL

Guest said:
Why would I want the UI of a phone or tablet on my desktop? EPIC FAIL

Because some people have TOUCHSCREEN desktops, and having two interfaces for the same OS unifies the experience. Really, why are you all so moronic? Is it a thing?

May be such guests have renal calculus which makes them utter such senseless stuff from time to time?

Are u serious?? Do you even know what you're talking about?? Microsoft is the pretty much the only OS that constructs it's OS' w/ protection in mind, cuz they're the only ones that HAVE to. Of course when you have nearly 80% market share, there are alot more people trying to access the information on those systems... I am anonymous, but I know more than u!

Guest said:
Are u serious?? Do you even know what you're talking about?? Microsoft is the pretty much the only OS that constructs it's OS' w/ protection in mind, cuz they're the only ones that HAVE to. Of course when you have nearly 80% market share, there are alot more people trying to access the information on those systems... I am anonymous, but I know more than u!

Hahaha, you even fail at trolling. Priceless.

I think we are missing a really important point, do we really need a touchscreen interface?
The only real fact in your PC "productivity" is the fact if you are able to think or not ;)

Cota said:
I think we are missing a really important point, do we really need a touchscreen interface?
The only real fact in your PC "productivity" is the fact if you are able to think or not ;)

I think the productivity comes from the adaptability of the OS. People who want to use the toyish side of it on touch screens can while those of us who do more "important" things on our PC's can use the old interface. I also think that part of this is an attempt to unify apps. If the same apps works on a windows PC, tablet, or phone it would be a buying point for many users. I really enjoy my windows phone and look forward to seeing this tile based side of windows. I will in all likelihood not use it but I have to say it would be very interesting to experience it for myself.

Hardcore desktop PC enthusiast here. My interest in Windows 8 is now officially gone.

Wow, I was actual impressed by this. I see no use of the alternative UI on a desk top but for a tablet it would be great. As long as it is fast and can run any apps a desk top can (within reason of hardware) then I'm sold. I really hope Asus makes a Eee Pad Slider with this.

TrekExpert said:
Wow, I was actual impressed by this. I see no use of the alternative UI on a desk top but for a tablet it would be great. As long as it is fast and can run any apps a desk top can (within reason of hardware) then I'm sold. I really hope Asus makes a Eee Pad Slider with this.

I also think the alternate touch screen keyboard is a BIG improvement. A good touch screen interface is something tablets need if they are ever going to be practical.

Looks like a gadget to me. Not worth the $100 - $200 for the upgrade from 7 (unless you are sightly computer "slow")

same UI as windows 7? meh. Not even a big deal, just wish they would make it different...the start screen seems like it would be cool on a touch, but stupid on a desktop.

Back