WIndows 98, Sata support?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeekieNick101

Hey Everybody,

I have a question about WIndows 98, will it work on a moterboard if it has Sata ports even if you are using a IDE harddrive. I have installed windows 98 on an IDE harddrive and it wouldnt work. Is there a way I can set up a dual boot with having Windows XP already installed, I know they normaly tell you to install the oldest verison first then the newest but that would be a lot of work. And you many be asking yoursleves why I want to Install windows 98 when Vista is so much better and considering that windows 98 is 9 years old. Well the reason is it will run much faster, since it is older it doesnt require much power which P runs really fast too on my 2,80Ghz P4 W/ HT and 1 GB RAM system but I still want windows 98 and I miss it sadly.

Thank You

Well the reason is it will run much faster, since it is older it doesnt require much power which P runs really fast too on my 2,80Ghz P4 W/ HT and 1 GB RAM system
Windows 98 on this computer runs faster? Wrong!

Windows 98 doesn't take advantage of hyper-threading (which you have) or dual cores (which you probably don't have). Windows 98 doesn't really take advantage of 1GB of memory either. Problems with having more than 512MB of memory under 98 are well documented. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/253912/en-us . Drivers are no longer optimized for Windows 98 and all games / applications are no longer specifically developed for 98... reducing performance even more. You lose support for a lot of new software that coming out... it won't even install... and good luck getting new technology working on the 9x platform. :(

Forget about 98. It's gone.

Your system will fly with XP and that's what you should have on it.

Windows 98 is gone
Windows Me is gone
Windows 2000 Pro is almost gone

If a system won't run XP... That system is gone

Thanks very much Everyone,

I always thought that if you ran windows 98 below it would ran much faster and have better performance for games but I guess I'll stick to Xp Media Center until I build a new system that will run Vista.

Thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back