Windows Activation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joawro

I had a brief power outage a couple of days ago and now it is asking me to reactivate windows. I have reactivated windows in the past. Whenever I click the gold and silver key taskbar icon to open the wizard, it never opens and it disappears until I reset my computer. Is there anyway to get rid of it?

I'm not familiar with this. Whenever I work on a customer's comp that requires Windows Activation, it comes up when you go to log on after an installation, re-installation or repair installation. It's a full screen window where you input an activation code from a Windows call centre.

Can you give anymore details about this?

Just a thought, can you try a Windows System Restore to the previous restore point before you have the system crash?

It's not a full screen window, it's more like a 640x480 size and it's the one that asks you to enter a code when Microsoft suspects it's a pirated copy of windows or if hardware was changed alot (Neither is the case) About the Windows System Restore, that program is never any help to me. When the power outage happened, all the restore points were gone.

I might suggest an XP repair installation.

It's strange, but I've never encountered the Windows Activation in this situation. I checked the Microsoft KB and it stated that the activation software also monitors hardware changes and if there's a significant change, then it prompts for activation again. Perhaps the power interruption you experienced corrupted your setup enough that the activation s/w thought it's a hardware change and prompts you for a code.

You may have experienced system sorruption so I would advise an XP repair installation.

Update

My Windows XP CD is an older version of the one I have now, so it won't do the repair setup or even the installation setup. What do I do now?

Joawro said:
I had a brief power outage a couple of days ago and now it is asking me to reactivate windows. I have reactivated windows in the past. Whenever I click the gold and silver key taskbar icon to open the wizard, it never opens and it disappears until I reset my computer. Is there anyway to get rid of it?

Start >programs >accessories > system tools >activate windows.

Regards

Try to run msoobe.exe /a from winnt\system32\oobe directory
or
find \winnt\inf\oobe.inf, right-click it, choose Install and then try again

Regards

Repair Install...OEM or Retail?

I have found in the last few years of repairing XP. That if you can get your hands on a Dell OEM XP CD you will have an easier time activating it. Chances are you can go to a local computer repair store and get a burned copy of the CD. As long as you have the Key.

But is it OEM or Retail key...that will make a difference. Look on your computer's key code tag. You should be able to tell. Perhaps you can even find an updated SP2 CD to use with your current system. That is the most likely issue with your mismatched versions.

Hope this helps.

I think the problem is your XP installation CD probably has SP1 where as your current installation has SP2. The repair won't work. Can you get your hands on a more current copy of XP installation CD?

almcneil said:
I think the problem is your XP installation CD probably has SP1 where as your current installation has SP2. The repair won't work. Can you get your hands on a more current copy of XP installation CD?

What a great idea? Didn't I just say that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back