TechSpot

windows and new hard drives

By super ninja 600
Apr 1, 2007
  1. Ive got a delema ive just bought an older laptop for cheap that works fine for my needs exept fo the fact that it has a small hard drive. the problem im having is finding a way to get windows on my new hard drive with out spending $100 on a new windows xp cd and regrestration code. i herd that there is a way of doing it with out buying a new windows cd. the people i talked to said that i need to borrow a friends xp cd and load it on to my new hard drive, and then there is a file from my old computer that i copy on to a cd that shows that windows is regristered. if this is true could some one telll me exactly how to do it.

2. joked u 2

joked u 2 TS Rookie Posts: 128

you got it partially right. use the attached file, run it and it will tell you your kp key. if you extracted it, it will save you key to a .txt file in that location. PRINT IT!! don't lose that. then go borrow your friend's xp CD. make sure you have the right CD(ie home-home, pro-pro). then your free to reload. if you don't have a friend with an xp cd, go to your local comuter shop and see if they will make you a copy. All the CD's are the same, but its the code thats the gold.

Good luck

3. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

provided your friend deletes his copy of XP- you're legit (other wise this is piracy and techspot doesn't tolerate this behavior.)

But you can use ANY CD as long as you have the right key.

4. joked u 2

joked u 2 TS Rookie Posts: 128

correct, one key per mancine.

5. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,714   +397

Or you could just image your drive, then redeploy the image on the new one.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.