TechSpot

Windows can't display Volume Control on Taskbar

By hippo430
Jun 17, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am unable to display the Volume Control on my taskbar (Windows XP, sp 3). When I go to the control panel and Sounds and Audio Devices and mark the box to display the Volume Control the following message appears: "Windows cannot display the volume control on the taskbar because Volume Control program has not been installed. To install it, use Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel." I am not sure how to do this once in the control panel as there is nothing to install. Any ideas?

Thanks
  2. ender

ender TS Rookie Posts: 99

On the right side of the window that opens when you click on "Add/Remove Programs" is an icon labeled "Add/Remove Windows components" or something similar. Select that and make sure that Windows Sounds is installed. You'll probably need the installation CD for XP during the operation.
  3. hippo430

hippo430 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 22

Sounds and Audio Devices in Taskbar

I tried your suggestion but did not find anything referring to sounds and audio devices in the Add/Remove Windows Components area. Furthermore, I do not have the XP disk that came with the system. Is it possible to download from Microsoft just the sound and audio devices? Thanks.
  4. ender

ender TS Rookie Posts: 99

I don't know of any way to install Win XP components without a CD but I'm not exactly an expert in that department. Perhaps someone else can suggest a way or settle the matter by saying no.

As for the initial issue, a quick google found this:

This
    thread has a longer discussion of the issue but I think all of the solutions they mention rely on having access to an install disc for XP. :(

However, if you have access to another computer with a functional volume control and the same version of XP installed on it, you could try to copy the "sndvol32.exe" file from the other computer to your own. See the quoted part for details on the location of the file. Either that or ask a friend that has an XP install disc to loan it to you.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.